Friday 15 August 2008

Nonnovation

Everything's been done.

Everything was probably done ages ago, but it's only now that we can search the internet to confirm it.

I have to google any idea I come up with to make sure it's original. And it never is.

A while ago, I was writing a script that required a wacky underground activist group. I came up with The Sceptic Tank. I thought I was so clever.

But of course, it's been done (although I think some of these are just typos).

Then, yesterday I came up with a good word. I thought it could be the name of a rubbish Creed-style US rock group:

Contrabandwagon.

But everyone got there before me.

At this point, I either have to think of things that are deliberately mundane (imagine a yellow fork!) or so leftfield they don't make any sense (imagine a yellow fork cress cress slinky Adam!!make alittle you knew blanker blinker fork fork).

I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. I might have to refrain from taking a side, to avoid being damned. Like Switzerland.

Of course the joke's on them because the Cuckoo Clock is the work of the devil, so they're damned anyway. (And yes, I know the Swiss didn't invent the cuckoo clock - Orson Welles don't know Jack about clocks).

At least I can rest assured that one of my creations is original. The Khaki Dynamo is one-of-a-kind. If he's already been invented, time travel is the only explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment