Sunday 31 August 2008

Holiday Journal - Day 7

Holiday Journal - Day 7 - 29/08/08

Lucy made a cake today. I wasn't of much help, but did enjoy spreading the icing and getting it all over the table-top. It was a birthday cake for my mum, who's 50 on Saturday.

It seems like a momentous birthday, but it's not really. The importance of 50 isn't real, just make-believe. Even in a purely mathematical sense it probably isn't that important. If we judged birthday milestones on mathematical importance, we should have special celebrations whenever we reached a prime number. Or a perfect number.

I don't really know much about those, so any further speculation is ruled-out.

In the morning, we went out for a cooked breakfast, which I heartily enjoyed (although I'm sure my heart didn't). The only problem was three large flies hovering around the cafe. Nothing conveys filth and depravity more than three large flies. Also, there were sautéed potatoes, which I don't consider part of the Full English.

I remember having a conversation about how the Full English was the Top Trump of foods. We then had to explain to a German friend not only the nature of the Full English, but also explain Top Trumps. It was confusing. We also once made her watch Back to the Future II when she hadn't seen the first one. Understanding the second film out of context is almost impossible. Still, confusion is an important part of personal development.

After cooked-breakfasting and cake-baking and Lucy-hair-cutting, we didn't do much. We watched Mock the Week with my parents, and felt embarrassed at the more offensive jokes. I'm very sensitive.

Back to work soon. I'm looking forward to being in Oxford again, but I don't know about the whole 'work' thing. I'm already looking forward to next weekend and my next day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment