Tuesday 26 August 2008

Holiday Journal - Day 4

Holiday Journal - Day 4 - 26/08/08

For a change of pace, we went into Exeter to do some clothes shopping.

It was awful.

Exeter was hot and crowded and full of idiots. Idiots like shopping because they are in constant need of stimuli. Their brains are too shallow to process anything with depth, so they have to cram as many objects into their lives as possible, swiping them across their consciousness like a supermarket check-out. Idiots.

Also, idiots can't walk properly, so they're always in the way. And they can't regulate the volume of their voices, so they yell and whoop like a Spaniard in an abattoir.

I bought lots of new clothes, which should tide me over for a couple of years. I bought lots of socks - a huge assault in The War To Own Socks, which I had been losing up until today. All my socks are odd and full of holes. But I'll never give up.

On the way home, the bus was filled with loud idiots. It was rubbish.

Coming back to Sidmouth was quite nice, though. Although the shopping trip wound me a few notches tighter, I loosened up somewhat in the evening.

This is the first day where I would have been working if I was back in Oxford. It's good to not have to be there, but I can't shake the feeling that I'll be missing lots of fun at work. If I find out that all my colleagues had an impromptu orgy at Alton Towers, I'll feel left out to say the least.

I realised today that my ideal holiday would be staying at home and using unspent trail/plane fare on Domino's Pizza and videos. Holidays are far too stressful. Any period of time where I'm required to wear trousers cannot be considered a true holiday.

It provides a handy key: the fewer clothes I wear, the more relaxed I am. Some day I'll shave off all my body hair and achieve something close to nirvana.

No comments:

Post a Comment