Tuesday 1 June 2010

But Still: My Face

This is still not a diary.

Yesterday... well, it's confusing. The post I posted yesterday, was actually written the day before. So though it looks like it was written yesterday, it was actually written the day before yesterday. Ironically, yesterday it was written yesterday. And this was written tomorrow. Yesterday it was, I mean.

So yesterday (actual yesterday)... what happened? Not a whole lot, actually. In fact, I may have started off on the wrong foot. Or the left foot forward, on the other hand.

It was the bank holiday (yesterday - are you following?), and was a typically relaxed affair.

I slept in the afternoon, and got woken up by a smell.

Well, maybe I woke up organically (in a flower-bed perhaps), but the first thing I noticed was the smell.

It's not what you think.

What did you think?

That?

THAT?!
That's disgusting. Even if that did happen (it didn't happen), do you really think I'd write about it here? You're sick.

(Also, if you are thinking of anything at all right now, you are sick. I'm not thinking of anything. This was a thought experiment, and you failed the thought test. Unless you didn't think of anything, which is a thought...)

The smell I'm referring to is curry. Not in the bed, but wafting (I said wafting) up from the flat below ours. This happens quite frequently. I go to sleep in the evening, then wake up with the summer breeze blowing glorious culinary fragrances tickling my nostrils. I don't sneeze.

It was a beautiful smell. I'm not sure if it was homemade curry or takeaway, but it was totally fulfilling. You wouldn't have thought a smell could be so satisfying. But it was so rich that it was like an actual meal.

Delightful.

Another delightful thing that happened yesterday (or the day after tomorrow, if it was last Saturday) was listening to the new Divine Comedy album.

I have an odd relationship with The Divine Comedy. I've been a fan for a while, and almost always love their music, but I never really consider them one of my favourite bands. There's something slightly distancing about their arch Englishness, I think. I could understand people thinking they're a bit too wry.

For example, this album is called Bang Goes The Knighthood. Hilarious! One of the songs is called The Complete Banker. It's a satire of the credit crunch and the immoral acts of bankers! Get it! Also it sounds like 'Complete Wanker'! It's a play on words!

A bit forced, you may think. Except the song is actually brilliant. I think Neil Hannon always gets the balance right between humour, cleverness and musicality. And that's what you've got with the album: great pop songs. And often surprisingly genuine and moving ones.

It's really good.

A weird thing about the record is that the last Divine Comedy album came out around the time of the LAST World Cup. It was sort-of my soundtrack to the tournament, and one of the songs, Light of Day became my theme for England's failure.

I'm hoping one of the tracks from the new album with be similarly definitive when we experience the inevitable failure. When a Man Cries seems like the ideal candidate.

Annoyingly, I can't seem to find any of these songs on Youtube, so you'll have to take my word for it.

So that was yesterday (unless I'm writing this yesterday - in which case it's today. I'm not - I'm writing it today).

The day before yesterday (known in Ireland as 'A Fool's Tomorrow'), I recorded something for no particular reason. And here it is:

I have mentioned before that my computer's fan makes a lot of noise. It means that I have to CONSTANTLY press Fn Z to stop it. I do it every few seconds. Even when I'm not on the computer. When I'm lying in bed smelling smells or naming leaves, my left hand is pressing Fn Z in the air.

I should get it fixed. I know I should. But I don't want to part with money or free time, so I'm stuck in the constant Fn Z loop. But, just to demonstrate how loud it is, here is a short audio recording:

(DISCLAIMER: This was recorded through the broken computer itself, so may be amplified. It's still loud, though.)

(OTHER DISCLAIMER: I couldn't publish the audio for some reason. So I decided to record it on a video. It didn't really work, and the audio is out of sync. But still: my face.)


No comments:

Post a Comment