Sunday 27 June 2010

Who knows her thoughts? Who can tell?

An Idiot Flaps Odyssey - Part 6

Yes, this is still happening.

Intro

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

***

Muriel Spark - The Driver's Seat


Just a short one this time.

I haven't got much to say about this one, except that it has pretty much freaked me up. I shouldn't have been reading this late on a Sunday night. It has made me not particularly hinged.

This is another book I read years ago for my Novella course, though I hadn't remembered much about it. I can't really describe it without giving it away, but it's very compelling and odd and funny. I don't know much about Spark, but this makes me want to find out more.

I will say that the protagonist is a bit crazy, which makes the whole reading experience a bit unsettling. Often, when I'm reading a book, I begin to think in the style of the narrator.

Especially if it's a book I've written.

But when the main voice of a story is unpredictable, volatile and illogical, it starts to make me question my own sanity.

Especially if it's a book I've written.

But I didn't write this one. Muriel Spark did. And she's not me.

I don't think.

She sadly died in 2006, which almost guarantees that I'm not her, as I'm alive (to the best of my knowledge) and it's 2010.

Also, we don't look similar.

Not really.

Also, her book is very good. And my book is not only not good, it also doesn't exist. Which is even worse.

A book that exists is almost always better than one that does exist.

Unless the book that exists is by Dan Brown.

AHAHAHA. Satire of Brown! I'm clever enough to recognise a bad writer! And post about it on the Internet! Even though I've never read any of his writing! I'M HIGH BROW.

I might try to find some Sparkesque glasses. My look has been missing something (as has my vision, which is almost the same thing).

Yes, so why not read The Driver's Seat? You might well enjoy it. Probably more so than my non-existent book.

Although my book does contain more cyborgs and a long monologue about a rabbit hutch. At least, it will.

Unless Muriel objects, which she could easily do, as she's not me and I'm not her, and she is dead, and I'm not.

At least, not at the time of writing.

By the time you read this, something awful might have happened. (Even if it's just you having had your time wasted by this AWESOME BOOK REVIEW.)

No comments:

Post a Comment