Saturday 5 June 2010

Headscissors Blog Post #433

I did my annual charity work today, generously giving my time and energy by watching Lucy (and her sister and mum) do the Race for Life. I really am quite the philanthropist. Few people give as much as I do - standing around in the sun. I should win one of those mawkish tabloid-wankfest Pride of Britain awards. I'd like that.

It was hot and humid, and all the runners did a superb job. I don't think I would have been able to complete the race, even if I was using someone else's legs and car.

As only women are competing, there's a weird atmosphere there. It's definitely a really good thing - so many people race (loads of money must be raised), and there's a feeling of community and fun, rather than the intense one-upmanship that my gender might bring to the occasion.

But it is strange that, to cater for what must be a wide range of individuals from different social and ethnic groups, they need to lump everyone into one big gender-based lump.

They've created a very specific female aesthetic. Everyone wears pink. There's upbeat pop music. One of the bouncy energetic announcer people (from a local commercial radio station, I think) described it as the biggest hen night they'd ever seen. Which is a terrifying prospect.

I wonder if some women feel a bit annoyed by all the pink and pizazz and the muffled roar of feminine enthusiasm. I wonder if there were any goths there...

Of course, there probably were, but they were happy to go along with the majority, to have fun and raise money for a good cause.

In the end, I view the Race for Life just like I view the theatre and the fire brigade: I think it's important and positive, and I'm very happy that it exists; I just don't really want to get involved.

If you are impressed by my accomplishments, and would like to give some money to Cancer Research, you can sponsor Lucy (who I suppose had something to do with it) here:

http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/lucystone6

She's so close to £200, it would be a shame not to make it.

***

After the race, we went through town. At some point - I'm not sure when - a small, silver letter 'A' became stuck to my sweaty head.

It was confusing. It was also very difficult to remove. I wondered if I had been made some kind of tiny silver Captain America. If so, they'd chosen the wrong man, as I'm not tiny, silver, American, or a Captain, and I don't have a tiny silver shield.

***

I've had this song going round in my head today. It's a beautiful lazy summer song, for when you can barely move due to the heat:

Joanna Newsom - You and Me, Bess



I also like to put videos on my blog to break things up a bit. I wonder if some people come to my blog, see a massive wall of text, and just get put off. I should be appealing to people with short attention spans. Because I'm one of them.

So, just for those of you that can't concentrate, here are a series of snappy blog segments:

***

Legs? You betcha!

***

Some kind of stage play, where the main character (Richie Northwark) consumes a whelk.

***

Politically correct discussion of gypsies, undercut by mock offensive remark.

***

Audio clip of table tennis song.

***

Self-pity.

***

Unsatisfying "surreal" list.

***

Badly drawn picture of a Welsh helicopter (poor resolution).

***

Snappy, smug conclusion.

***


How was that? For all of you with long attention spans, just read all of the above at once. There is a secret code hidden in the above, the cracking of which will lead you to the location of a buried golden galleon.

[Just to save you some time - there is no code.]

(The latter is part of the code)

No code.

Code.

Node.

Or?

Mm.

Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment