Friday 17 April 2009

Fuck Petrarch

Unprompted use of melancholy verse
Enrages those with little taste for art.
My keyboard taps the day from bad to worse
And ends a pleasant daydream at the start

These cold, pretentious words do cynics fear;
The structure true, but lacking craft and spark.
My "Jump-the-Shark" blog entry sidles near,
My eyes roll ever onwards in the dark

I'll post this shit regardless of my view
That time will waste for all men, even me.
The mood will shift from grey to grey to blue
And puce with rage, the reader will agree.

A Wiki search for rhyme schemes has borne fruit
Rewarding the banal and the astute.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:50:00

    The real trick to writing a good sonnet is trying not to sound like Yoda. In this instance, you have failed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous14:09:00

    Who the heck is Yoda?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right - sounding like Yoga is the trick to writing a GREAT sonnet.

    Him or Chewbacca.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous21:23:00

    The final rhyming couplet is a triumph. It made me splutter my coffee all over my keyboard. (Can I claim expenses?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can claim expenses. Call my lawyer: his name is 'Anonymous'.

    (I've only just realised my typo above. I meant Yoda, but said Yoga. It was a Freudian slip - which, incidentally, is my favourite yoga position)

    ReplyDelete