Thursday 14 May 2009

Stand-Up - Baby Simple, Oxford 31/03/09

It's finally here! I'm sure the anticipation has been killing you. My stand-up videos from the end of March are in the can (on Youtube).

The video skips a little bit at places, and the aspect ratio got a bit screwed up when I converted the file type. I don't think anything too significant is missed. If there's anything that seems really stupid or obvious or unfunny, let's just assume it refers to something else that happened on the night, and is actually really good.

Yes. Let's assume that.

My comments are below.







I wrote about this briefly before. I thought this was my favourite one so far. I was very much unprepared (as is evident from my cheat-sheet), but I felt quite relaxed and was able to improvise quite a bit.

I wish I'd thought more about my wardrobe choices though. Perhaps some tweed for next time.

I was also worried by the fact that I enjoyed putting together the few seconds of LEDs at the end of the first video as much as I did performing. Maybe I should be an editor instead of a comedian. As long as the things I worked on weren't more than a few seconds long.

How about a competition? If anyone can tell me what the music was that accompanies that few seconds of lights, I will give you a special prize. A signed picture of me or something.

***

On the other side of the comedy coin was the video of April's performance. I received it at the same time as March's, but you'll notice it is conspicuously absent from this blog.

It wasn't good. I wrote about why last month.

Luckily, in addition to being quite rubbish, I also looked terrible on the video, thus confirming that I shouldn't post it here.

My face does not do well if shot in close-up. My face is big enough as it is. I have about 35% more face than is necessary. In close-up, it looks like a ghoulish Little Nemo moon. I know I shouldn't judge these videos by my appearance (if I did, none of them would get shown). But this was the ugly cherry on top of the awkward cake.

I think it's good not to show every one of my performances. The beauty of stand-up is in its ephemeracy.

(I don't know if that's a word. Well, it is now.)

That's all I got.

No comments:

Post a Comment