Monday 4 May 2009

With great flour (and yeast), comes great responsibility.

God bless the internet and all who sail in her!

It's a very special thing, and deserves to be toasted (in the champagne sense, rather than the crumpet sense).

[The 'crumpet-sense' was a rubbish superpower. No wonder the Crumpet-Man comicbook only lasted 8 issues. #Crumpet-Man, Crumpet-Man, does whatever a crumpet can#. It was ill-conceived. The first five issues saw him slowly absorbing butter.]

Our Freeview box/DVR thing froze up yesterday. Despite my best efforts to fix it (unplugging it, then plugging it in again; smashing the remote; utilising shamanistic chants etc), it stayed frozen.

In the old days, I'd probably have to take it somewhere to get fixed. Or phone up some kind of help-line. Either way, I'd have to speak to someone - which I try to avoid at all costs.

But in this wonder-age, I just looked it up online. All over the country, all over the world, people had been having the same problem. The orange light. And the blinking other lights.

It was a shared experience. I felt like I really could be part of a Jungian collective unconscious - albeit one based on substandard electrical goods.

There was a solution, and I used it. The box now seems to be ok (touch cyber-wood).

I'm glad that there is a global communication network. As well as solving problems, it allows people with niche interests - people who previously would have felt isolated and freakish - to find out that they're not alone.

I wonder how many serial killers and maniacs would have been stopped in their tracks if they'd just been able to vent on message boards instead of murdering. You can tell that there are a lot of maniacs online now (see the comments on any Youtube video for examples). I'm glad they let off steam by abusing strangers and voicing 9/11 conspiracy theories, rather than through ethnic cleansing. Ethnic cleansing is really just a cry for help.

If the internet had been around in the 1920s, Hitler might have gone on anti-semitic chat rooms, and led a normal life in the real world.

Of course, there are still nutcases who use the internet and kill people. So my point is probably invalid.

Still, it's good to have an outlet through this blog to reach people all over the world. Even if I haven't really thought things through.

I may be wasting everyone's time, but I haven't been doing any ethnic cleansing. And I think we can all take comfort in that.

Due to my exotic heritage, I sometimes wonder if having a shower constitutes ethnic cleansing.

I also wonder if you could be considered genocidal if you only murdered women called Jen.

I bet there's someone - in Paraguay or Linlithgow - who has been wondering the same thing. And now they feel bonded to the world: the collective unconscious caresses us all with its spongy tendrils.

Jung must be looking down on us now, feeling slightly confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment