Wednesday 29 April 2009

The Jiggler and the Jar Jar variant

I just did another stand-up thing at my regular (and only) haunt.

I really need to increase my portfolio of haunts. My house doesn't count as a haunt. You don't shit on your own doorstep.

I have a list of prospective haunts: the docks, the old abandoned warehouse, the old abandoned fairground, the old abandoned sewers. If it's old and abandoned, it's a prospective haunt.

I want to live like a Batman villain. I could be the Jiggler (a cross between the Joker, the Penguin and the Riddler). I'd kill people with jelly.

I didn't think my set went very well tonight. The crowd were really good (though smaller than previous weeks), but I kept leading myself up too many improvised cul-de-sacs. At points, my mind went completely blank, which has never happened before.

But I still enjoyed it, and it was a learning experience. It's good to know I can do badly and not completely self-destruct (though that might have got a better reaction). And if this was my worst gig, I think that's pretty good going.

I should be going to bed now, but after performing I always feel the need to settle my brain down a bit first. So that's what this entry is: a settling exercise.

I'm listening to a mellow Beck track (Already Dead from Sea Change). Though all my songs are on random. Hopefully the next track won't get me too amped-up. I'll keep you posted.

Hmm, it's a bit of Bill Hicks stand-up. Probably not good to empty my mind of things.

Although I really like Hicks, I get the sense that most people who like him are idiots. I think that's true of a lot of things I like. But I'm not an idiot, am I? Don't answer that.

Hey, it's the Doors! I did my Jim Morrison joke today (and the Jar Jar variant). I enjoyed how it went. Most people seemed to get it much later than I thought they would. And I enjoyed deconstructing it and criticising myself. I think there's more mileage to that bit.

This is probably indicating how slowly I'm writing, but I'm now onto a great Jeffrey Lewis song. The Chelsea Hotel Oral Sex Song:



I think this will unwind me, so I shall bid you all a good night and pleasant dreams.

1 comment:

  1. then again, shitting on your own doorstep does keep the mormons away.

    good tunes

    ReplyDelete