Wednesday 13 May 2009

Life is incomplete without the

We went to the cinema to see The Big Lebowski last night. There were lots of White Russians on show (the drink, rather than the race), and lots of slightly nerdy-looking twenty-something men (of which I was a proud member).

I still maintain that the film is severely underrated. It belongs in the pantheon of truly great comedies. It's well paced, packed with great scenes, and is beautifully shot.

Annoyingly, it was just a DVD projection (as was evident by the technical fault in the middle, where the player stopped, and the 'projectionist' had to labouriously search for the right place to resume). When we saw Back to the Future at the Picturehouse in Exeter, is was a beautiful scuzzy, crackly film print.

Lebowski was still great, though. There's always something new to find.

It means that I've now seen four of my top five films at the cinema, which I'm quite pleased with.

I've probably listed them before, but here they are again:

60s: The Graduate
70s: The Godfather Part II
80s: Back to the Future II
90s: The Big Lebowski
00s: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I've seen them all at the cinema except The Graduate (although I also only saw the first BTTF, but I think that should count).

I'm trying to expand my top five into a top ten. There are some obvious choices to fill out the list:

The Apartment
The Conversation

And some strong possibilities:

Dog Day Afternoon
Once Upon A Time in America

I also feel I should include some more fun ones (Die Hard or Con Air maybe).

I'll keep working at it.

It's important. What if someone asks me my top 10 films, and I don't have a ready response? I'd probably have to kill myself.

Of the ones I've suggested, most of them have the word 'the' in it. I sure like me some 'the'.

This entry has been interesting to no-one, but I'm worried that my posts are becoming too infrequent. So, whereas I'd usually just delete this, I'll probably post it anyway.

Maybe, if I just keep on typing, something interesting will emerge out of all this.

I ate an apple earlier.

(No, nothing there.)

I got the bus into work this morning.

(Still no luck.)

I ate an apple earlier.

(Well now you're just repeating yourself.)

I ate a bus this morning.

(That's not even remotely plausible.)

I got a tattoo at the weekend.

(Did you?)

I got a tattoo at the weekend.

(Did you?)

I...

(You didn't get a tattoo at the weekend.)

An apple tattoo.

(You didn't get an apple tattoo at the weekend, did you?)

...

(Well?)

No.

(No. You didn't.)

Sorry.

(That's ok. Just try not to lie.)

Hmm.

(What?)

Nothing.

(What is it?)

I...

(You didn't even eat an apple earlier, did you?)

*sniff*

(There's no need to cry. Did you eat an apple?)

No.

(You don't need to do this to yourself.)

I know...

(Did you even get the bus?)

I don't want to talk about it...


***


Well, that was something.

No comments:

Post a Comment