Saturday 9 May 2009

This could be 氣

I wish I had a piano.

It would have to be a grand piano, I think. I want to convey ostentatious wealth. An upright piano is more closely associated with the ramshackle Victorian house of an eccentric geography teacher.

If I had a piano, I could use it to punctuate my speech. I'd be giving a rousing oratory on the Middle East or Derrida, and would then hammer out a chord to prove my point.

"... an analyis of language that has tremendous implications for our conception of the world!"
G#


Also, I could dance seductively on top of it, possibly wearing a skimpy red evening gown, writhing, as though electrocuted with erotic current.

In our flat at the moment, the lectures and evening dress seem out of place; unsettling, even.

I'd also like an umbrella rack and a safe.

And a little train I could ride around the house. Is that too much to ask?

Is even asking if it's too much to ask too much to ask?

What about the above question?

Is this going to turn into an infinite inquisitive regress?

No. Apparently not.

There's not really enough room for a grand piano in our flat. I'd have to sleep on it. I fear a sleeping bag would muffle the tone of the instrument. Also, the keys would give me odd dreams full of moral certainty. Unless I had grey keys fitted.

'Key' is a very interesting word. It has loads of meanings. I'll get Lucy to look up the exact etymology (she works on the OED, I'm not just getting her to perform tasks).

[By the way, you should all read her latest journal which, as usual, is excellent!]

Key is a musical term (both in instruments and a description of musical tone), an object used to unlock things (or lock them, if you're a pessimist), as something that is the most important thing. And of course, I'm using keys to write this.

It's apparently Old English, but I'd like to know how it became used for so many things. It seems like they all refer to things that are used for a purpose. They are all tools to achieve something further, be it a musical note, a letter, or understanding itself.

The key is a means to an end.

Although it would mean abandoning even the semblance of realistic linguistic connections, we could also look at the Chinese 'Qi'. I'm pretty sure it's pronounced 'Chi', but still... it would be good if there was some kind of connection. Qi can refer to an inner force. I'm sure Qi is key to understanding life.

Perhaps a true understanding of the word 'key' is integral to unlocking the secrets of the universe.

Probably not. Interesting, though!

We've been listening to lots of old Russell Brand podcasts, so please forgive my elevated diction. I'm sure it's just temporary.

To make this ramble worthwhile, here's a very funny bit from Look Around You: the funniest key-related video I could think of. Unfortunately, I couldn't find just the bit I wanted, but you can see it at 5:42 if you like (though the whole thing is great!):

1 comment:

  1. Musical instruments in the rooms gives amazing attraction for rooms and whole house.Pianos and Grand Pianos are most poplar musical instruments for this purpose.They not only give nice music but also give tremendous attraction for room.By the words of the author in this blog we can know that easily.

    ReplyDelete