Saturday 24 January 2009

Now is Twitter of our discontent

I've just signed up to Twitter, as you may see to the right of this entry.

I don't really know how it works. I have nothing interesting or original to say about it. I'm just inordinately pleased with the title of this entry, so I thought I'd use it before someone else thinks of it.

It's good, isn't it?

I usually don't like to blow my own trumpet, or pat myself on the back. Certainly not at the same time. I don't have enough vertebrae.

I admit it doesn't make much sense. Ideally it would work as a sentence. But still...

I like being able to have some kind of insight into the life of celebrities. I'm pleased that I might be informed when Jonathan Ross takes a shower. But it makes you realise that it should probably only be used by famous people.

Regular updates about meeting Tom Cruise or filming adverts are fine. But what am I going to do?

Sitting, staring at my computer 1 minute ago

Sitting, staring at my computer 4 minutes ago

Sitting, staring at my computer 5 minutes ago

Went to the toilet, no loo roll 8 minutes ago

Sitting, staring at my computer 12 minutes ago

It will be like firing bolts into girders - ie RIVETING.

I quite like Twitter as a means of shrinking communication to it's most elemental level. It's like taking friendship to the quantum level. But I don't think it goes far enough.

I want a social networking site where people exchange photos of themselves doing different expressions, symbolising their mood. No words, only mugshots. Others can then reply with a picture of the resulting facial response.

But the ultimate in nano-networking is Shrug.

Shrug is a new social network, where you communicate with your friends in a variety of apathetic shoulder movements.

You can get emails: 'You've been shrugged'.

The way to respond is simple: you shrug.

Soon everyone in the world will be shrugging. We'll be united in indifference.

Imagine if, during the Obama inauguration, instead of applause we'd greated the moment with one massive shrug. Two million people in Washington, billions around the world, shrugging in unison.

What do you think?

*SHRUG*

Yeah, that's what I think too.

No comments:

Post a Comment