Wednesday 25 February 2009

Refugee-chic is back in fashion

I did another stand-up thing last night - video will be up soon. It was a bit of a let-down in the end. I had quite a long set planned in my head, but had to edit it down significantly in order to fit into the timeslot.

I had to lose my favourite bit as well! It related to the earlier stuff, so I couldn't do it on its own, but I'm a bit annoyed that I had to miss it out. I might do it in a video or something and post it here. I need closure!

I didn't get too many laughs, but it was ok. I had to follow a really funny and really energetic act, which made me seem even duller than usual. I also found - once again - that the bits where I improvised got much bigger laughs, so maybe I should do more of that. The trouble with me is all my ideas are quite long and sprawling and involved (as you may know if you read this blog), so it's difficult to just do a ten minute slot. It takes me ages to warm up. I'm like the Greg Valentine of stand-ups.

Still, it's all a learning experience!

I'm looking forward to a relaxing weekend. I decided to plug the gap in my DVD collection where cheesy action films should go. So I ordered Con Air, The Rock, and the Die Hard quadrilogy (even though that's not a word). So I'm hoping to watch a lot of explosions and quips and dodgy Nicholas Cage acting.

I'd quite like to write a British action movie in that vein. I suppose Hot Fuzz was pretty similar, but that was more of a cop movie. I want to do a lone-hero-fighting-all-the-odds movie. I actually wrote the beginning of such a screenplay on my English MA. It was called Oblivious, and featured an apathetic loser forced to battle an evil corporation. I haven't read it in a while, but I can only assume it is a work of genius. Derivative adolescent genius.

Maybe I'll post some of it here. The plot description includes the line 'an inept middle-class Die Hard ensues'.

I didn't get a distinction, in the end. I can only speculate as to the reason.

***

I've just remembered that the same script was the one I documented ages ago here, where I received the comment from the marker:

"'Refugee-chic' is a horrid abuse of language."

I bet no-one has ever received that comment on a piece of academic work. And I have to say, I'm rather proud.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:20:00

    Hey Paul,

    I didn't think your gig was a let-down, I found it very funny. It was a shame it had to be cut down, I definitely think you should film the whole of the set you had planned and post it here!

    Son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous13:01:00

    Refugee-chic is a look I occasionally go for.

    Sometimes Victorian Doctor, sometimes what I call old man chic, sometimes Wild-West snake-medicine salesman and once in a while I go for the Refugee-chic look.

    It's one hell of a look!

    The sparkly stick-on diamonte tears of intrepidation really work with my blue eyes.

    Not quite as good as the Leper-Orphan-Glam look though... That one really gets me noticed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks I appreciate it! Though the crowd were a bit quiet, I was happy enough with it. I may well film the extra bits and put them up here. Perhaps at Trafalgar Square! (I'll shortly be uploading the video).

    Ginger Jesus - I originally mis-read your last line as Leper-Oprah-Glam. That's also a good look!

    You're a style pioneer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous14:25:00

    yeah! i loved the improvised bits! but i guess you can't go into your first stand-ups all guns blazing and making it up on the spot! but i look forwarding to you improvising more in the future.

    it was tricky following that guy because he got everyone on the wavelength of his humour and performance, so it'd be hard for anyone more understated and not as insanely dynamic to follow. perhaps in future you could make a reference to that. kind of draw attention to it - but obviously in a funny way as only you can.

    and yeah, you should definitely make a video of the bit you had to cut for your blog - i'd love to see it!

    i can't wait for the next stand-up.

    ReplyDelete