Thursday 5 February 2009

Stand-Up - Baby Simple, Oxford 27/01/09

I've finally managed to put my stand-up up on Youtube! I've had the first and last sections up for a while, but it's taken ages to do the middle bit for some reason. Anyway, here they are. I'll let you know what I think about them below.

Paul Fung Stand-Up - Baby Simple, Oxford 27/01/09

Part 1:



Part 2:



Part 3:



***

I'd like to thank Ayd Instone for filming and editing these. He's a very funny fellow. He also performed on the night - you can find lots of cool stuff of his here.

My fellow Guild members also performed on the night - here are videos (and links to other performances) from Ian Williams and Joff Thompson.

As for my own performance, it's inevitable that I don't really like it. I know that rationally it went well, and I seemed to get some good laughs. It's just that I hate watching myself.

You know how some people hate hearing the sound of their own voice? Well I hate my voice, my face, my body, my stupid smug expressions, and pretty much everything else. If I met myself on the street, I'd punch me in the face. I've broken several mirrors that way.

I should probably study and learn from these videos, but I'll probably just avoid watching them. Paul is a much more attractive proposition from inside his head.

I do think that I spoke a bit too quickly at times (which is to be expected from a nervous newbie I suppose). Also, the end of my 'genes' bit (which I also wrote about here), where I'm slapping myself in the head, didn't go over too well. It's probably too complicated an idea, and might need some rewriting.

I did a few ad-libs, which seemed to go down well. When I'm more confident, I'll try to do more improvisation. All in all, I'm pleased. It's good to have some evidence of a performance anyway.

The only downside is that, as before, the related videos on Youtube seem to all be slightly seedy wrestling fetishes. I'm starting to regret calling this blog Headscissors. It seems odd that DiamondBadger wasn't my first choice. I wonder how difficult it would be to change...

I have too many internet pseudonyms. Headscsissors, DiamondBadger, PFunk13. It would be all right if they each had a distinct personality: one the sleazy, perverse one; one the TB-carrier; one the unlucky slap-bass player.

But they're all me. Like mixing a wide range of interesting, exotic ingredients together, only for them to form a grey, flavourless mulch.

Hopefully I'll post new performances in the future, perhaps from the Royal Albert Hall, perhaps from a street corner... Who can tell?

All I know is the future is big and confusing and exciting. What's going to happen next?

(A cup of tea?)

Why not?

2 comments:

  1. I especially like your 'Upskirt panties headscissor KI Aika's revenge' clip. You're amazingly supple and cartoony.

    No, honestly, very well done. I find there's nothing worse than getting up and doing that. Oh yes, except sitting down after, when no-one's laughed, just groaned, and you've heard words you wouldn't even expect your nan to say (not YOUR nan - the generic 'your nan', like 'your mum', not YOUR mum).

    Some very good lines. Nice delivery. People there clearly liked it. So well done again. Well done. May pop along at some point - if you let me know when you're next standing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    I was trying to work out which words I wouldn't expect my nan to say. So far I've come up with "noisecore" and "chillax".

    ReplyDelete