Tuesday 30 December 2008

2008: The Year in Snide Remarks

I was trying to think about what to write in this entry, and then it hit me. What does every lazy, boring person do at this time of the year? That's right: a review of the year!

I did this before, and it was an unqualified success. Of course, describing success as unqualified is in itself a qualifying statement. I may have just contradicted myself. Unless 'unqualified' is just a way of saying 'zero qualifications'. It's a statement of number, rather than an attribute. Ah, Gottlob Frege. How I miss thee.

I got distracted. Where was I? Oh yes. (I could have deleted this bit, but I want to convey a sense of my thought process. Next time I'll do it pictorially by drawing a homeless man taking a painful shit in a wood.)

I'll use the same categories as I did last year, and maybe add a few more just for fun! Join me, won't you?

Review of 2008

This year will mainly be remembered for the invention of the hover-copter (or helicopter). But on a personal level, there have been many important changes. I'm happier with my life now than I was a year ago.

2008 has been a good year, apart from the economic downturn and climate change and pointless wars. Iron Man was good, though.

Life-Changing Event of 2008

We moved back to Oxford, I got a new job, I punched a smug idiot (which turned out to be a mirror), I tied a flock of pigeons to my arms and legs in an attempt to fly, I killed the flock of pigeons (foolishly before my flying attempt), I kissed Margaret Thatcher.

But I think the biggest event of the year would have to be this morning, when I looked for some of those individual filter coffees in the Co-Op, and... they... didn't have any.

Film of 2008

Well, I've given this away already. Iron Man it is. I always feel stupid choosing one, because I only saw about five films all year, so my top five and bottom five are the same. The Dark Knight was overrated, Burn After Reading was good. That's all I can remember.

TV Programme of 2008

The Wire, The Wire, The Wire, The Wire, The Wire.

I can't believe how little I've spoken about it on this blog, but it really is/was/will forever be superb. And I usually don't watch TV drama.

Music of 2008 (new category!)

I bought an unusually high amount of music this year, which was great. I enjoyed albums by Fuck Buttons, The Fall, the new one from Ben Folds. But the winner, as loyal listeners may already have worked out, is Amanda Palmer. She's great:



Stand-up of 2008 (new category!)

I'm really pleased that I've been able to see so many of my favourite comedians this year: Simon Munnery, Richard Herring (twice), Stewart Lee (twice), Josie Long, the Boosh.

But the best performance of the year has to go to Mr Daniel Kitson, who was majestic in controlling of a large, middle class audience and still making it fun. An almost flawless performance. Bravo, sir.

Podcast of 2008 (new category!)

I'm always talking about Collings and Herrin, and they've been great. You can't go wrong with Adam and Joe, either.

But for sheer volume of laughter, I have to go with Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier's SModcast. They have made me laugh so much it's been painful.

Number of 2008

550

Celebrity Sighting of 2008

I don't think I saw anyone famous. I did see Josie Long, but that was outside a Josie Long gig, so it's probably to be expected.

Odd Celebrity Crush of 2008 (new category!)

Claudia Winkleman. I don't know why, alright! I can't explain it!

Best Bit from My Review of 2008

"was great. I"

Prediction for 2009

Fire and brimstone, fun and frolics, flora and fauna, fire and water, friends and foes, and lots of moments where fate seems to be tapping you on the shoulder, but it turns out to be the dangling corpse of a clergyman.

***

Happy New Year to you all! I'm going to be avoiding New Years Eve, because it's inevitably a disappointment. I'm going to spend the whole day in a sensory deprivation tank.

When I have awoken, the Earth may have been overthrown by the ants or the wasps or the Peruvians. But I'd prefer that to happen, rather than be forced to watch Jules Holland scampering about like a dreary house elf.

I will see you in the future.

Or in the past.

Oh. No, I'm sorry - I was right the first time: the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment