Friday 5 December 2008

Self-Helpless

I done made a video.

Well, video is being generous. It was more just me rambling on. It was originally conceived as a self-help tape to treat peoples' addiction to self-help. But I kept getting bored, so basically just improvised this in one go. It's unedited (and it shows) and unscripted and doesn't make much sense.

There's not a lot of visual content, but there are periodic messages displayed, so stay tuned! The messages aren't quite subliminal. And they're not superliminal. So I suppose that makes them liminal.

Enjoy!

Also, the moment I finally decided to upload to Youtube, the embedding function is suddenly rubbish (what with the stupid search-bar and all. Oh well).

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:56:00

    This is crazy man. Ok it's funny, but what if you're scared of stately homes. Or motor bikes. Or doves. Or Jesus?

    Or self help videos??

    I need to get back to my 'Face your fears or at least head butt them' tapes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right. I gave it serious thought before posting this in case I caused anyone to suffer a nervous breakdown.

    But then I remembered 'there's nothing to fear but fear itself'.

    And sharks. Fear and sharks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure that helped as intended but I do now have a Robert Powell background on my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! I find that amusing and validating.

    By the way, did you deliberately post at exactly 22:00? Are you trying to trademark precise on-the-hour posting as a gimmick?

    If so, I approve. From now on that particular manoeuver will be called 'The Rob'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only post on the hour these days - except this time - and I feel anyone who doesn't - so me, this time - needs to get with the time. The Rob.

    Have you seen the adverts for Nine Lessons and Carols for Godless People? I got all excited - Ricky Gervais, Robin Ince, Tim Minchin, Stewart Lee and Richard Dawkins all promoting atheism at Christmas. I then got all depressed - sold out. Sounds right down your street - if you live in Gordon Street, London, which you don't.

    I expect you'll be equally disappointed. So Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for raising and dashing my hopes within the span of a single paragraph!

    I had heard mention of it, but forgot about it. I suppose I need to learn to act quickly. Or, y'know, not.

    Never mind. I am going to a benefit for Orangutans in January called OrangAid (see what they did there?). If I had to choose between atheism and monkeys, I'd choose monkeys every time.

    (Don't try and tell me Orangutans are actually apes. I don't want to know anything about them until OrangAid. It will spoil things.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I had to choose between theism and monkeys, I'd choose monkeys every time. In fact I do.

    ReplyDelete