Tuesday 25 November 2008

Period

I'm excruciatingly tired, but I don't want to go to bed.

I don't know why, exactly. I just feel in the mood for consciousness.

I'm listening to old Stewart Lee radio shows, which you can find here. They're funny and have good, strange music. It gives this late-night endeavour an ethereal quality.

No-one has ever described sitting around, in one's pants, playing Minesweeper, an 'endeavour' before. But I don't think the word requires something significant or noble. An endeavour is just a thing. A thing you do. It's a pointless word. It only exists as a good name for a ship.

I wonder what endeavour actually does mean...

Hey, I'm almost exactly right!

Verb
to try (to do something)
Noun
an effort to do something [Middle English endeveren]

Endeavour is a fancy 'do', just as exist is a fancy 'be'. We must have got tired with two-letter words at some point. They're only useful for brevity and Scrabble; neither of which are necessary for the evolution of the human race.

So, this is an endeavour. I'm staying awake. It's just something to do.

I generally really enjoy sleep. I don't know if that's possible - enjoying unconsciousness. It's an encouraging belief. It suggests that I'll enjoy death, which is plausible. I like the idea of death just being a comfortable, pleasant experience.

But for some reason, I don't feel like going to bed tonight. Maybe I'm worried some stroke of genius will hit me, and if I'm asleep I might not notice. Like when a spider crawls over your face. A spider of inspiration. I wouldn't want to miss that.

I'm perturbed by the fact that my full-stop key isn't working very well. I have to press it about five times before it will produce the requisite dot.

For someone who is generally indecisive and non-committal, it really compounds my problems. I might as well have a little message pop up every time I reach the end of a sentence, saying "are you sure?"

"Are you sure you want to end the sentence there? It's not very good, is it?

Maybe you could go on a bit longer? It might rescue the sentence. You might pull yourself out of the hole you just dug for yourself.

Maybe you should use a semi-colon. You don't know how to use it properly, of course; it could prove a problem.

Are you sure you want to end it? Well, ok. FULL STOP (but don't say I didn't warn you)."


The question mark key is working fine. The interrogative is the reliable friend of the uncertain person.

You can tell a lot about a person by their punctuation - !!

You can tell that I, for example, have a malfunctioning full-stop key

.

I should go to bed now. This endeavour has gone on far enough! I can exclaim (!) and question (?), but I can't stop. Not until I'm dead. Or asleep,,,

1 comment:

  1. God made a boo-boo when he invented sleep by making it so much more enjoyable than being awake. It just makes me want to be unawake/asleep for more of the day than unasleep/awake.....?!;

    ReplyDelete