Monday 25 July 2011

Serious

Let's get serious.

The world is a serious place.

I can't be flippant all the time. I recognise that awful things are happening all over the world. People are suffering. Such suffering should be avoidable. Or at least reduced. But the self-interest that dominates the human race means this doesn't happen.

And self-interest dominates me too. I should be helping the world. But I'm too busy being depressed by my minuscule problems. Bored by work. Stuck in a rut.

What right do I have to be upset about going to work? And being paid relatively handsomely to do something that's not too taxing?

I should be grateful. Things could be so much worse.

The thing is, I'm an optimist. I recognise that there's a lot of good in the world too. I recognise that compared to humans throughout history, we're in a very privileged position. People don't think that's true, but it is. Humanity is in a much better situation than it was a hundred years ago. Or a thousand.

But I complain about things anyway. I lost my keys yesterday. It got me down.

Keys. 

My problems are insignificant compared to the evils of the world. And the goods.

I resent that.

I'm sure I'll be happier soon. But until then, there's only one way to deal with a serious world. And that's to produce some serious art.

Here is some serious art.

1. serious egg



 2. serious Frank55


3. serious peg


4. serious Sarah Greene


5. serious invisible oven gloves
6. serious Sirius


7. serious mistake



The world is a beautiful and terrifying place.

Live in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment