Tuesday 10 August 2010

Edinburgh 2010 - Day 3

I'm writing this on Day 4 (aka Edinburgh Day 5, aka yesterday, aka Tuesday), so I'll have to remember what happened on Day 3 (aka Edinburgh Day 4, aka St Gibrideon's day, aka the Festival of the Lamplighters, aka Rick).

I stayed in for the beginning part of the day, waiting for our flyers to arrive. It was nice and relaxing, and I was able to read quite a lot of Stewart Lee's new book, How I Escaped My Certain Fate, which is excellent. Though I question my wisdom in reading a book about stand-up, when comedy is already bombarding me in every thought, poster, leaflet, and shrill maniacal whoop.

After the flyers arrived, I put a bundle in a carrier bag, and walked through the pouring rain. Realising the bag was on its last legs - it didn't really have legs; it isn't that kind of bag - I went into a shop and bought a cheap man-bag. I've never owned a man-bag before and can't help but think, despite its many uses, that I've slightly compromised my masculinity. Which is probably a misogynistic and homophobic thing to say, but hey: if you can't stand the heat of my prejudice, get out of the poorly conceived kitchen.

I eventually arrived at my destination: a live panel show where two of my fellow comedians, Jon and the almost too funny Matt Richardson, were guests. It was a bit of a train wreck, with Jon's misanthropy and Matt's energy turning what I imagine is usually a pleasant, whimsical, unexceptional show into a tense and morbidly entertaining experience. I think there was genuine ill-will towards the end, which was great.

After that, we went flyering.

I've never flyered (flyered?) before, and found it a bit uncomfortable. I'm too apologetic to promote myself, and have the awkward air of a sex offender who's been forced to go door-to-door, notifying his neighbours of his hideous crimes.

Also, I try to make judgements about who I should give the flyer too (which is clearly stupid, as everyone is welcome, and anyone can be a good audience member). I didn't want to give a flyer to anyone too tough, to old or too Scottish. I think I overcame this prejudice eventually.

When the show rolled around, I thought the audience might be a bit quiet, but they were really great. It was a lot of fun in the end, and it did a good job in cheering me up after the previous night's disappointment.

After the show, we had no time to waste, as Matt and Alex were both in the So You Think You're Funny? semi-final at the Gilded Balloon. It's one of the biggest stand-up competitions in the world, and so the gig was quite a big deal: in a swanky venue with a large crowd.

There were eight acts, and only one was guaranteed to get through. Both of them were great, and Alex won the thing! It was a great feeling afterwards (we cheekily flyered the crowd, advertising the man of the hour's appearance in our show).

We topped off the night by going to Late 'n' Live, the legendary late-night comedy show, which may not be quite what it used to, but I still really enjoyed. There was a raucous atmosphere (it seemed a fight was brewing at one stage), but the acts were good, especially Terry Alderton who was insane.

I fell into bed at about 4am, too tired to think about anything. I think it was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment