Monday 5 November 2012

NaNoProbLemMo

I'm just checking in. I don't know who with. Myself, probably.

I've been writing. My NaNoWriMo "novel" is progressing at just about the right speed. I still don't really know what I'm writing about. Things just seem to happen and I have to go with it. I'm sure it's part of my subconscious insecurities - I feel that if I plan what I'm writing, I'll have no excuse when it doesn't work.

At the moment, I'm creating mysteries that I'll have to solve later, and am referring to interesting events that haven't been thought about. I can see it all collapsing in on itself in a couple of days.

I'm worried it will turn out like Lost, where I just pile meaningless incidents on top of each other and hope I can bluff my way out of it later.

At the moment, the story is called Neon Tiny Fires. Why? I don't know. It sounds like a bad band name.

Here's a short extract:


“It will come as no surprise to you that-YARGHHH!”

There. Remember, I'm not editing anything, I'm just writing. Quality control is not welcome here.

I've written 7224 words so far. The most fun thing about doing this has nothing to do with creativity or hard work. It's all about the statistics. You can enter your word count, and get all kinds of stats about how well you're doing, what your average word count is, and how long it will take you to finish. There's even a graph!

I don't care about writing - I only care about getting my average up. Which is the idea, I suppose.

This is probably of no interest to anyone.

So, here's Something Of Interest To Everyone:

We saw some fireworks on Saturday, and got muddy. Then we had burritos.

Thus ends this week's edition of Something Of Interest To Everyone.

***

I shouldn't be wasting my words here. What if I run out at a crucial moment? I might have to start using numbers instead.

I'll end on a joke.

What's the difference between Mitt Romney and a kettle?

One boils water, and the other one... waters... boils...

Vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment