Sunday 8 August 2010

Edinburgh 2010 - The Previews

So, I'm in Edinburgh. We did our first show last night.

I'm sorry I haven't had time to update this blog as much as usual. I have been busy getting tired and excited and nervous and lost and confused; often all of these simultaneously.

I'm not sure what to write about the whole thing. Should I give a blow-by-blow account of it all? Does every gig need a summary? Probably not. Also, I'm not used to using this as an actual diary, so it seems weird to be writing about something instead of ridiculous nothing.

I'll probably fall somewhere in between, disappointing everyone. But I'll give a quick account of everything, so that in years to come I'll be able to look back on this and say "huh".

I'll start by talking about the preview gigs we did back in Oxford (which now seems like several years ago).

Last Monday we did a preview at Baby Simple on Cowley Road. It was OK, but a bit of a letdown. I went on stage with two long, largely unwritten bits that didn't really work. I felt unprepared, and I think that showed on stage.

Hmm. Nothing funny so far.

Oh I know what's funny! There was a chicken bone in the corner of the venue by a plant pot! No-one else seemed to see it! A chicken bone! Probably a leg bone or face bone or something. Just lying there, bold as brass. It didn't pay the entrance fee or anything.

I know what's funny!

The second gig, on Tuesday at The Duke's Cut, was much better, but still a bit underwhelming. There was a really good crowd there, but I think I underperformed.

I think that there's usually about 7% of the audience that finds me funny. And mostly in a curious way, like a grown man grinning at a chicken bone, rather than a laughter-inducing way. I don't think I'm ever going to be the next Michael McIntyre.

Which suggests that it's just my unorthodox, revolutionary material that will stop me being accepted by the mainstream. Rather than me just not being that funny.

But I know what's funny. Remember the chicken bone? I bet about 7% of you really enjoyed that whole bit (and maybe even gave a single throat-clearing "HA").

I was a bit down after the two gigs, feeling a bit bored of my material.

Last week was busy at work too, so it felt like a bit of an ordeal. We came up to Bonnie Scottishland on Friday (kindly driven by fellow comedian Jon Spira). The drive up made me realise how little of my own country I've seen, as we went through tiny towns in the North with names like Fisherly Anton and Bleaieaderieaeieae.

We arrived in Edinburgh and had a look round. It's a really beautiful city. I don't know if I've ever thought that about a city other than Oxford. After being shown around, we went to the Pleasance to see Dutch comedian Hans Teeuwen do some strange and funny stuff in a stiflingly hot venue - at points I was forgetting the show and eyeing his water bottles with parched envy.

And that brings us up to the end of Friday.

It has been stupidly busy week. I don't like busy. Busy and I don't get along. In fact, I was going to paint a white line down the middle of my world: Busy stays on one side, I stay on the other. But frankly, I haven't got the time.

I sure could go for a chicken bone right about now... Maybe with some chicken enclosed as a little bonus comedy treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment