Sunday 15 August 2010

Edinburgh 2010 - Day 8

Saturday. Yesterday. Well, yesterday as I write this. But in seven minutes it will have been the day before yesterday. But still Saturday.

A day almost devoid of incident. I got up late, watched some football online, and stumbled about for a bit.

In town, I saw the guy with "I LOVE ENGLAND" sign again. This time I noticed that the flip side of the sign said "I HATE ENGLAND". So he's not taking as much of a risk as I thought. He's playing to two distinct demographics, though banking on them only over seeing the side of his sign that displays their viewpoint. A bit of a risk.

Before, I suggested it might have been like Die Hard With a Vengeance. The scene I was referring to is Jon McClane being forced by a scenery-chewing Jeremy Irons to walk around Harlem with a sandwich-board saying "I hate niggers" (or else a bomb would go off or something).

This Edinburgh guy has shown that McClane could have avoided a lot of trouble, if the other side of his sign had said "I love niggers". Because any Harlem residents seeing that would have appreciated the gesture, and probably bought him a drink.

We did a lot more flyering than usual, which seemed to pay off. I still felt quite uncomfortable doing it, but the other guys seemed to have a lot of fun, and it was quite contagious. The hilarious "Free flyer, sir?" (HA! BUT THEY'RE ALL FREE!) raised a few chuckles.

We had another really big crowd, and everyone seemed to enjoy the show. It was one of our best yet. I compered, and everything went swimmingly.

I came home and watched some of Match of the Day. The Saints game was called off due to the death of our owner Markus Liebherr. Obviously it's very sad, and he basically rescued the club, but I feel a bit weird about grieving for someone I know so little about. So I won't grieve. I'll just feel slightly ill-at-ease.

I think I can handle that.

***

I was going to post this before, but if you'd like an alternate take on the Edinburgh experience, have a look at my showmate Jon's blog on the subject. It's very entertaining. Though slightly downbeat. Slightly.

Is "showmate" a real term? It sounds like he's a fellow stripper. Which, in a metaphorical sense, he is.

I don't know what that means.

No comments:

Post a Comment