Wednesday 16 April 2008

Abusers

I was watching Cruickshanks today (the final 's' is superfluous, in the style of Richard Herring, eg Collings). That's the architecture programme I talked about a while back.

I was getting annoyed at his tolerance of the various ridiculous beliefs that had inspired these beautiful buildings. I can't stand tolerance. Or forgiveness. But I'm easy about forgetfulness. Live and let... how does that go?

Anyway, I do appreciate how amazing these places are. And I am a big proponent of mankind striving for the spectacular, and trying to be more than they are (and, as I've said before, this desire is admirable in itself and probably the meaning of life or whatever).

But I'm a bit annoyed at wondrous stuff created for religious purposes, whereas I love art.

I think the difference is, art's purpose is to express and religion's purpose is to impress.

Art for its own sake is noble and freeing and empowering.

You can't help but think that all these temples and mosques and chapels were created on the assumption that the creators will get a gold star at the end of it all.

Religion is a bit too sycophantic for my liking.

Art is like the cool kid who just doesn't give a shit.

Of course, I always hated that kid, so maybe I'm talking bollocks.

***

I've posted the link before, but everyone should read Lucy's current journal here.

All the entries are good, but this one is especially so. It's annoyingly better than anything I can write. But at least I write more frequently! Quantity, not quality, my friends.

***

Ahahahahaha!



Those were the days. If only modern men could abuse their wives, refuse to kiss them over the shittiness of their coffee, and still be considered the ones in the right.

But bloody Tony Blairs doesn't want you to do that. This country...

No comments:

Post a Comment