Monday 21 April 2008

Who's On First

Gah.

Just as I'm feeling worried about going back to work, I read Charlie Brooker's latest column and am reminded of the pain of the morning commute.

At least it's almost summer, so I won't be getting up in the dark. And by the time winter comes around, I might have won the lottery, so won't have to get up early. If I'm still working, I might fuse a powerful halogen bulb to my head to create instant, dazzling light on those winter mornings.

As depressed as I feel now, I was very happy this afternoon.

I was listening to Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone on BBC 6Music. It's a show full of weird music, and is usually pretty entertaining. Anyway, I was listening to the music, the window was open, reminding me of the summer, and the smell of Lucy's lasagna (the actual dish; that's not some euphemism) was wafting through the room. I felt happy and content.

That happens sometimes. And it's quite reassuring. Because it sometimes seems that the miserable, discontented moods are all there is. I get get in a bad mood for no reason whatsoever. It's refreshing to find that you can fall into similarly inexplicable good moods as well.

I'm sure another good mood will strike me soon, and everything will be hunky-dory. I sometimes think the main determining factors of my mood are the tidyness of the kitchen, and how much fresh air there is in the room.

If the kitchen is spotless, and the windows are wide-open, I reckon I could deal with any disaster (lost wallet, ethnic cleansing, pubic lice, etc) with a smile on my face.

***

I just watched a good documentary on The Who on BBC4. It's called Amazing Journey: The Story of the Who. I enjoyed it a lot. Documentaries have to walk a fine line between being informative and being arty, and this one was just right.

Anyway, I quite like the The Who. But not that much. I admire their aesthetic and everything, I just don't like too many of their songs.

It must have been annoying for all the other 'British Invasion' bands, that not only were The Beatles the biggest and most famous group, but they were also the best.

Usually, the most popular things aren't the most talented, and the ultimate genius is outside the mainstream. But the Beatles did both.

Poor Who.

No comments:

Post a Comment