Tuesday 8 April 2008

Phrase and Feeble

I'm experiencing rapid mood swings; no doubt as a result of living in a precarious situation. I don't have a job yet, and need money, so want a job, but hate working, so don't want a job. You may remember this cycle from the past four months of my life.

But now it's wearing thin. A really thin cycle. A penny-farthing made of hay. Thin. Yeah, thin.

My state of being is so precarious that I experience constant ups and downs of emotion, caused by the most insignificant thing.

I got a second interview! - UP

I've got to go to a second interview. - DOWN

I might be earning some money soon! - UP

I might be working full-time soon. - DOWN

I just bought a muffin! - UP

Pompey are in the Cup Final. - DOWN

Saints won at the weekend! - UP

The planet is dying of ozone and wars. - DOWN

I'm writing a list of mood swings! - UP

I hate lists. - DOWN

I don't like being so erratic. It makes me feel weak. I'd like to be able to marshal my moods through sheer willpower, but I keep getting distracted by birds and teletext.

I should be using my free time to do something constructive, I suppose. But I'm writing this instead and, although it is a kind of construction, it's not very useful.

I have probably written many other posts sharing my dissatisfaction with my situation, but it never seems to change. I should stop being boring and write about something interesting.

***

I know, I'll impart some sayings that Lucy and I have invented. They're useful for certain situations. You have our permission to start using them in conversation. If we increase usage, we can make sure they become commonplace. Given that Lucy is an insider in the Oxford English Dictionary, expect to hear more about them in the coming months.

Firstly, an expression describing something difficult, perhaps an impossible and thankless task:

Fucking the capital 'A'
eg. "Trying to get my Uncle to recycle is like fucking the capital 'A'"
The origin of the phrase is unknown, but I think it comes from a discussion about which letter of the alphabet would be the most uncomfortable to have sex with. Think about it.

Secondly, an expression stating how someone is having a highly productive streak:

Raping the Week
eg: "Finished a couple of projects, lucky at the bingo, got given a knighthood. I tell ya, I'm raping the week!"
This highly unpleasant phrase is a way of showing a triumph over fate and circumstance. I'm going to blame Lucy for its invention.

I'll post some more when I think of them.

Right, I'm going to try to find something that will alter my mood. Perhaps an online episode of TMWRNJ? That should clear away the angry voices in my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment