Saturday 26 April 2008

Week

Where to start?

It has been a busy week.

I started work on Wednesday and discovered, to nobody's surprise, that I'm not really cut out for the working life. By the end of the week I was physically and emotionally drained, and am now incapable of generating any energy but sadness-energy (which is the most useless kind). And that was only after three days.

During the week I realised that I have never been in a meeting where I haven't, at some point, visualised hurling myself through the window. Not as an act of misery or desperation, but just because I'm easily distracted. I do it all the time. At university I used to imagine the various stunts you could do in the lecture hall. I wouldn't listen to the lecturer, just visualise wrestling moves through the tables.

I have trouble focussing on things that I don't really care about. My brain rebels and pulls me in the other direction.

***

On Friday, we went into London to see a comedy show at the Bloomsbury Theatre. Stewart Lee is comparing a series of gigs by his favourite comedians.

Lee himself did some stuff. I was a little disappointed that he did some of the same material we saw last month. Don't get me wrong, I understand comedians have set material, and that no bit is ever really the same. It's just that he said on his website that it would be brand new or really old. Never mind.

He has a bit about going to Weightwatchers. I don't think he looks fat. He just looks like he's at a different aspect ratio to his mid-90s self.

Anyway, the first act was Simon Munnery, who I may have mentioned before. He was excellent. You should buy his DVD.

And the second act was the 'mystery guest', who I correctly predicted would be Johnny Vegas. He was hilarious and embarrassing and emotionally exhausting, and totally unique. He involved the audience in lots of ways, and made me laugh until I was in pain. It was a great experience.

***

I'm not really enjoying writing right now, but I'm forcing myself to do it. I don't want to stop writing this blog, even though after work I don't feel motivated to do it.

I'm sure I'll get used to the schedule in time, and will once again be my usual effervescent self.

No comments:

Post a Comment