Friday 12 November 2010

Old Faithful

Mood: Foggy-headed, sleepy and slightly giddy.

Listening to: Spirit - America The Beautiful/The Times They Are A'Changing



I really like this version for a few reasons.

1) America the Beautiful is the song traditionally performed at Wrestlemania - which clearly makes it very cool. People singing it in the past include Aretha Franklin, Willie Nelson, one of the non-famous ones from Destiny's Child and Boyz II Men. Justin Bieber has been rumoured for next year. Clearly very cool.

2) I think it should be used for the Captain America film, as both parts fit. Of course the Watchmen film's montage intro got there first. But I like to pretend that never happened.

3) I like to compare this to the Bob Dylan version. This one is sung by a placid angel drifting over the American countryside, buffeted by the wind, swooping over Yellowstone National Park.

The Dylan version is screeched by a hoarse tramp from the back of a police car.

Which is why Bob Dylan is much better.

I don't really know the 'Manunaloa' section at the end of this. It's not as good.

Reading: The #IAmSpartacus thread on Twitter. Here's the story behind it. It's a fun and important protest against idiocy.

Watching: Ancient Worlds on BBC2. An overly earnest archaeologist strides around the desert, barking statistics and teaching us all about irrigation. Except better than that. Genuinely interesting and well-made television.

Playing: A hilarious made-up song about Terry Pratchett. You had to be there. You could have hit me.

Eating: Tuna, chips and mushy peas. So wholesome and hearty it feels like it should be delivered via the umbilical cord.

I think there should be mushy variants of other foods too. Like lobster. And Quavers.

Drinking: Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice. I wish I knew how freshly squozen it was. In an ideal world, I'd have oranges - mushy oranges at that - squeezed directly into my windpipe.

Then I'd choke like citric geyser, screaming "More! More!" through every spluttered gasp, all the while injecting mushy peas into my leg veins with a syringe.

In an ideal world.

***

I don't have many skills.

Blog writing, obviously. Mushy food eating, songwriting, Wrestlemania singer knowledge, muscular calves (and hens), delicate fingers, astonishingly beautiful eyelashes. That's about it.

But one skill that I do have is the ability to walk down the stairs of a bus when it's moving. I'm a moving-bus surfer. I never trip, I never slip, I never fall.

I especially like it if the bus is swerving or suddenly stops. I like it when the floor is all muddy and wet. It just gives me further excuse to tame gravity.

I dance down the steps like a funky gazelle - never stopping, never nervous; invincible.

You might think this is tempting fate, that I'm bound to be karmically punished for my bus bravado.

And maybe I will.

But not today.

(I'll be walking)

I fear no Bus God.

Except PhoBus.

I like having a picture in my post to liven up my Facebook feed. So one will follow. It will have a hidden connection to something I've referenced today*.

See you on the morrow.

* Not really

No comments:

Post a Comment