Thursday 28 January 2010

Walking on Eggshells

I did stand-up on Tuesday night. I think it went well, despite there being a really small crowd. The vast majority of the people there were my friends. It provided a friendly atmosphere. I'm glad they didn't all turn on me.

If they'd have thrown bottles, I would have questioned our relationship.

I was doing all new stuff, mostly about the whole Headscissors controversy that I've written about before.

It was the first time I've directly referenced this blog on stage. And now it's returned here, no worse the wear, but slightly sullied by its exposure to oxygen.

I felt a bit funny doing some of the cruder stuff in front of my colleagues. I hope it hasn't warped their opinions of me. It might have changed our dynamic. Once you've spoken about choking on semen-covered paper towels, it's difficult to get the genie back in the bottle (so to speak).

I'm very conscious of the persona I present on stage. I want to embody all the qualities I most admire, and avoid characteristics that make me feel uneasy.

I've definitely become more sensitive to political correctness as I've gotten older. I think I might be too sensitive.

I can't help but wince if I hear another comedian doing something that might be considered sexist, racist or homophobic. Even if it's only relying on gentle stereotypes, I feel uncomfortable.

Even with my more risque routines, I'm (over)eager to let the crowd know that I'm one of the good guys. I hope it doesn't get in the way of, y'know, jokes. That would be annoying.

I see un-PC jokes everywhere. Even shows that I think are funny, like Harry Hill's TV Burp, seem to have a slight undercurrent of misogyny. And there's a casual homophobia that's everywhere in mainstream comedy. I suppose comedy always relies on stereotypes, but I'd like people to think about it a bit more.

It wouldn't be such a problem if they were funny. But how many gay jokes are funny? How many times can you laugh at the same innuendoes?

The jokes I most admire are the ones that are totally unexpected. I want the punchline to come completely out of left-field. They should make sense, but in a way I hadn't anticipated.

I try to anticipate reactions. I try to rule out clichés. But there's not much left after all that. And some clichés are funny.

It's a bit of a minefield, but luckily it will be funny if I'm blown sky-high.

As one gay pilot said to another!

Am I right?

Gay people?

Yeah?

Ah, irony! The smug shroud of the liberal coward..

No comments:

Post a Comment