Wednesday 30 September 2009

Mr Suit Goes To Town

In the interests of increasing my blog post count for this month (as part of an ongoing and futile battle with my past self's productivity), I'll stick a little something here.

Luckily, I have something to talk about. I did some stand-up last night.

It was useful. Which is as soulless an assessment as one can make. Luckily, my soul infuses every other sentence in this entry. Even that one. You can tell that I'm soulful from my use of the words 'one', 'stick' and 'assessment'.

The crowd was a bit smaller than usual, but even so, they were very generous. I did almost a whole new set, mostly made up of stuff from these ideas. It involved printing out and holding the headline pictures as props. I felt a bit awkward holding them, and I hadn't really polished the ideas enough. I could have used a few more jokes. But it went OK.

I also found out that I'm performing on Thursday at Oxford Brookes (short notice because of a misunderstanding). It will be cool and slightly scary to perform in a new venue with a new crowd. I'll be using tried and tested material for that one.

I wore a suit again last night, but didn't really do my suit persona. It's a shame. I had dreams of creating a whole new alter-ego. Suit Man, perhaps. Or Mr Suit.

Or I could go for something that doesn't explicitly reference the suit. It's a tricky balance.

But on the evidence of last night, I'll have to come up with something else to get me into character.

Tomorrow night, perhaps I'll play Dressing Gown Man, or Mr Topless (with scars).

Who can say? Life is a rollercoaster. Frankly this metal support bar is becoming an irritant. As are the screaming kids all around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment