Wednesday 15 July 2009

Profoundly bored

Do you think it's possible to undergo a profound spiritual change through sheer boredom?

I think it might be. I'm close to reaching a nirvana-like state of dissatisfaction. I'm sure this kind of thing is supposed to come from meditation or prayer or hard work. But I think I've had an epiphany based purely on angst.

I can see why it might not be appealing to others. It's difficult to imagine anyone making an arduous pilgrimage to a remote Mongolian monastery, only for me to greet them with a shrug and a sigh.

"Come in, my son," I would say. "Your journey has been long and hard, but you have yet to take your first step."

"Teach me."

"Before you can join me in the spirit world, you must first realise that everything is a bit shit."

"Even this conversation?"

"Especially this conversation."

"So, what's next?"

"Oh, who cares. I'm bored. And tired. Look, just go home. Or sleep out here or something, I dunno..."

"But it's one in the afternoon."

*YAWN*
*GUNSHOT*
*YAWN*

A whiny optimist is the worst kind of person. I am a whiny optimist.

I acknowledge the beauty of the world, but I'm too lazy to transfer that belief into day-to-day emotion.

If I wasn't such a fascinating miracle of matter and imagination, it would be quite a downer.

But I just can't keep the sunshine out! I'm exuberant. That's what I am.

I used to be uberant, sure. I was uberant for a long time. But I've put that behind me. No more uberance!

3 comments:

  1. The world needs more exuberance. Slightly less uberance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous21:29:00

    do you prefer a psychopath, or a cycle path?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we can cut down uberance by 20%, I'll be happy.

    I don't have a bike, and psychopaths are interesting to talk to. It's a tricky choice.

    ReplyDelete