Wednesday 8 October 2008

Saptrack

I'm in a mood to listen to lush, soppy songs that sound like they're from a Disney film. I don't know why. Maybe I'm getting old. That might be why old films have those over-the-top melodramatic scores. In the old days people needed more clearly defined emotion. They wouldn't know whether to cry or not unless they heard a stirring swell of violins. Even at the scene of a dog autopsy (and those are very sad, as the dogs have a hard time using scalpels or mastering fairly basic forensic procedure).

Maybe I'm becoming an old woman. At least people will give up their seats for me on the bus.

Anyway, I'm the songs I'm particicularly thinking of are:

Amanda Palmer - What's the use of Wond'rin? (from my favourite album of the year so far: Who Killed Amanda Palmer?)


I can't find her version, but here is the orginal version, from the film Carousel


The Beatles - The Long and Winding Road (the original Spector-ific version)

(Despite this song being robbed of all it's dignity on X-Factor (just from over-use, the Will Young version was actually ok), it still works in a fuzzy, eerie Snow White-esque way.)



The Beach Boys - Their Hearts Were Made of Spring

I can't bring myself to link to a performance at Reagan's Inauguration, so here's a version by The Four Freshmen



I'll have to listen to my new Fall albums tomorrow to counter-balance the repugnant snuggliness of the whole thing. And kick a child in the leg. That'll make me feel better.

(Repuggliness)