Tuesday 23 September 2008

Buzz

The new Charlie Kaufman film Synecdoche, New York looks very interesting:



I've heard mixed reviews, but I'm optimistic about it.

I'm not sure about Philip Seymour Hoffman, though. I know everyone thinks he's a great actor. I think he's a great actor. But I can't help but feel he's a bit too conspicously acting.

I'm slightly aversed to characters being played with so much intensity. It almost seems like they're trying too hard - as if through sheer effort they can force their skulls through the camera lense and into the cinema. It's one way of making a character seem real, I suppose: straining until you literally add another dimension to the film. I'm probably being too hard on Hoffman - it's not just him. I think I just have a personal preference for more understated performances (like Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's or Brent Spiner in Independence Day - real finesse).

The reason I particularly think of Philip Seymour Hoffman, is because it reminds me of the biggest culprit of too-intense cinema: Paul Thomas Anderson. Magnolia in particular. It feels like the entire cast and crew were competing to see who can be the most vivid and sweaty and visceral. The camera work squeezed and pulled every last drop of performance out of the actors, and they strained like constipated mimes.

I suppose some people like this style, but it's not my cup of tea. Just relax, guys! You don't get this from the Coen brothers (who strike just the right balance between intensity and nonchalance). The only performance I enjoyed in Magnolia was Tom Cruise's, because I reckon he's like that in real life.

But generally, I'd prefer actors to stop acting at me so much. It distracts me from the story.

(I should drop the huge caveat that I still haven't seen There Will Be Blood, so my opinion may change. )

I think Synecdoche should be good though, because Kaufman's insanity is surprisingly subtle. He realises that it's easier to connect to people through interesting ideas and realistic characters, rather than grabbing them by the lapels and spitting in their face.

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Quite what you're going to do with all the flies is your own business.

Sticky flies, as well. Sticky, sticky flies.

But, I mean - to each his own. None of my concern.

None of my concern what you're going to do with a congealed mass of buzzing, dying insects.

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

Ye be judged as some kind of pervert.

A sick, sick person.

A reprobate.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

...

I use vinegar, like any right-minded, well-adjusted fly rapist.