Sunday 26 August 2007

Diamon D. Badger

My profile (on the left) is going to be really annoying. Diamon D. Badger. It makes me sound like a South American cartoon character.

I don't think they have badgers in South America, but I may be wrong.

***

Last week, my dad asked Lucy and me to build a lego castle for some talk he was giving. It turned out to be quite the stressful enterprise.

We unearthed a big box of loose lego that I had as a kid, and tried to make a spectacular piece of architecture. Unfortunately, my lego skills were a bit rusty, and I ended up making a number of rookie mistakes (miscounting foundation blocks, overestimating wall thickness, trying to hammer blocks together using my face, etc). The end result was ok, but no better than I could have produced 15 years ago.

My intelligence has really been going downhill since primary school. I have noticed this, and it is slightly perturbing.

In primary school I was clearly the cleverest kid there (if anyone reading this went to my primary school: shush!). Leagues above everyone, helping the teachers, a real prodigy.

In secondary school I was still really clever. One of the best students in several subjects, I did well in exams and showed real promise.

In sixth form I was pretty good. Above average definately, but not quite part of the upper-echelon. I performed reasonably well, but didn't stand out.

In Uni, I was pretty far down the evolutionary chain. Not quite at the bottom (though close enough to see it), I was generally a disappointment. Often failing to achieve expectations. Dull and unspectacular, with moments of startling ineptitude.

If this trend continues, by the time I'm sixty I'll be slumped on a street corner, dribbling whiskey, reciting obscure Big Brother trivia to passing strangers.

So, if this blog is going downhill, I have an excuse. I'm already dribbling as I write this. Not whiskey, though.

***

Thomas F. Wilson seems like a fun guy:



***

I'm starting a new job this week, which will either make me so miserable I don't write anything here, or will give me some interesting stories to write about. Either way, you all win!

No comments:

Post a Comment