Wednesday 13 October 2010

On Cloud Nine

It's late, but I don't want to go to bed. I'm quite tired. You'd think bed would be an option. But I want to stay awake.

At first, I thought it might be due to resentment. I suffer so much being forced into consciousness in the morning that I want to extract every last drop of it.

But it's not about that; I don't think so anyway. That's a negative thing. My desire to stay up is more of a positive one. Perhaps I just prefer being awake to being asleep.

That's a good thing. It would be a sad state of affairs to prefer unconsciousness - looking forward to it, wishing away the waking hours.

But I'm not sure what to do with my waking time. Sometimes I get caught up in the desire to be creative, but my options are limited. I need to stay quiet (I don't want to wake anyone up). Also, my talents are just as limited as my options. I'd like to be able to paint. Or play the harp.

I feel like I've written about this before. Well, maybe not the bit about the harp.

So that's what this blog is: my harp. Just quieter, and less beautiful. The traditional heavenly notion of angels would be somewhat tainted if rather than playing harps, they wrote blog posts about waffles and paedophiles.

More portable, though. I wouldn't be able to carry a harp round with me. Unless it was one of those mini-harps. But playing those makes you feel like a giant, rather than an angel.

Anyway, I should stop harping on about that.







...







gif animator
Gif animator

***

Man, I think I'm going to be using that .gif maker a lot from now on. You lucky people.


Also, I've got a really big head.

I'm growing my beard. I haven't trimmed it for ages. I really want it to grow long and straight like a Triad boss, but I think it will just get wiry and bushy like a young farmer.

My facial hair isn't conducive to stylish grooming. One day I'll go for something spectacular, like the one-inch beard, or an eyebrow weave.

It's now even later than when I started. But at least I've created something.

It's a thing.

A thing of my face.

Not quite harp music, but still pretty good for 1.30am on a Weds morning.

Also (and I realise I've already started multiple sentences with that word, but bear with me - it's late), I'm listening to Billy Joel's Piano Man, which is quite stirring and has instilled in me a sense of camaraderie with my fellow man and woman. I'm sure there are bloggers all over the world creating gifs of their own faces in response to a terrible pun about harps.

And we're all in it together, trying to make our way through life, doomed to die but enjoying the ride, even if the ride is made all the more difficult by a cumbersome beard (or in the case of the women, a cumbersome beard).

Our internet connection has cut out. It's been doing it all evening. I hope this isn't the beginning of a problem. I've just reset our wireless hub.

[I'll just give you a few seconds to absorb that fascinating nugget of British life in the twenty-first century]

...

So I'm writing this offline. If may never see the light of

Oh. No. I'm back online now.

[I'll just give you a second to say "Phew!" to your spouse/Irish cousin and pantomime the wiping of sweat from your brow]

I'd better take this opportunity to post this, refer back to something earlier in the post (like the harp - remember that?), and then finish of with a seeming non-sequitur that actually calls into question your very essence as a living human.

I'm ready for sleep now.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous07:46:00

    you look alarmingly naked in that gif!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alarmingly naked? Or ALLURINGLY naked?

    Oh, I just re-read your message. It's alarmingly. Alarmingly naked.

    I was half way towards going to bed. I assure you, I was wearing trousers when those pics were taken. If I wasn't, the gif would have taken on a different dimension.

    An alluring dimension.

    ReplyDelete