Tuesday 16 February 2010

Holy Ghost Story

I've been thinking about some things. It's a hobby. My brain processes electrical impulses, which become ideas, pictures, words, etc.

I've been thinking about the Cherry Tree Carol.

It's not very seasonal. If I was going for something relevant, I should have been thinking about some kind of pancake-based spirituality (Batter my heart, three-person'd God...).

But instead I've been thinking of a Christmas song. Here is Joan Baez singing it:



It tells the story of Mary and Joseph travelling to Bethlehem. Mary asks Joseph to pick her some cherries, and he refuses - asking that the child's true father (spoiler warning: God) do it instead. Then Jesus, from inside the womb, commands the cherry trees to bend down towards him. Which takes the wind out of Joseph's sails.

I like the carol for a few reasons.

Firstly, it shows Joseph and Mary as normal people. Mary is hungry and tired. Joseph is feeling like a bit of a third wheel, and feels a bit resentful.

Secondly, the cherry trees bending down is a really cool, eerie image. There's something supernatural and fantastical about it. It seems like something from a twisted fairy tale.

Thirdly, it conjures up an emotion not usually associated with Jesus: fear. There's something vital and exciting and chilling about the whole thing. Which is what it would really be like - an alien, all powerful presence has entered the physical world. It's a bit like Alien, but with John Hurt as Mary (and presumably a donkey instead of a spaceship).

Religious stories are such a part of our cultural fabric, that they tend to become quite dull. We know them all so well, there's no excitement in them. I like the idea of Biblical tales being fraught with angst and wonder.

In the last couple of verses, the foetus Jesus (Foesus?) sounds really creepy:
Then up spoke baby Jesus, from in Mary's womb:
Bend down the tallest branches, that my mother might have some
Bend down the tallest branches, that my mother might have some

There's something pleasing about the idea of a creepy Jesus. There's no reason why the epitome of good wouldn't be quite unsettling.

Then, in the final verse, Mary seems to be gloating a little bit:

And bend down the tallest branches, it touched Mary's hand
Cried she: Oh look thou Joseph, I have cherries by command
Oh look thou Joseph, I have cherries by command

"Oh look thou, Joseph! What's this? It seems like we didn't need your help after all!"

I like the idea of Joseph and Mary as having a couple of passive-aggressive arguments. That's the way it would really happen - they're under a lot of stress.

Religious figures as perfect, placid conduits of virtue are boring. There's no honour in heroism without struggle.

I wish the Bible had more stories like that: Moses stubbing his toe, Noah accidentally using a racial epithet, Satan playing air guitar.

So. That's what I've been thinking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment