Monday 14 January 2008

Mixed Nuts

Oh, come on now. Surely I've been ill (and whining) for too long now. I hope I'm better off by the time The Big Transition happens this weekend.

Th Big Transition includes packing up all our stuff in boxes, applying for jobs (in theory), marshalling a couple of days with both my parents and Lucy's in the same house, graduation, going up to Oxford, unpacking all our stuff, and settling in to a new life.

At the moment, the only transition I can deal with is from blowing my left nostril to blowing my right one.

Another concerning aspect of The Big Transition that is worrying is that we will be offline for a couple of weeks. That means I should probably do two blog entries a day for a while to compensate for the upcoming drought.

***

How about some quick media nuggets?

I finished Dawkins's The God Delusion now, and I highly recommend it. It had a lot of stuff that some people might consider obvious, but we all like to read things we've previously thought, written by someone clever. It has kind of put me off the idea of ever living in America, though. Even if it's exaggerated, the idea that people espousing such bullshit can hold public office is a terrifying thought.

I also bought the first season of The Wire on DVD. The Wire is an American cop show that everyone says is amazing, so I thought I'd give it a try. And so far, it's pretty damn good. I'm not usually good with TV drama, as it seems like too much of a commitment. But at the moment I'm enjoying the show as the antithesis of the Lost/Heroes school of all style, no substance, shitty dialogue, boring characters. That's not to say I hate Lost or Heroes, it's just that I find them a bit shallow, which makes it very easy for me to avoid watching them. But The Wire seems to be the kind of thing I can learn to love. It has kind of put me off the idea of ever living in Baltimore, though. But I probably wouldn't have done anyway.

Music. Hmm. I haven't been listening to much music lately. I did by It Ain't Me, Babe by Bob Dylan on iTunes. That's probably my favourite Dylan song.

What other media are there? Theatre? Fuck that. Radio? Adam & Joe on 6 Music when I remember to listen.

Entries like this make me think I should do all my writing at four in the morning. I'm sorry, but I've got to keep the numbers up.

No comments:

Post a Comment