Monday 14 January 2008

Retro Blog

I've just made an amusing discovery. We've been sorting through our stuff in advance of moving, and I found a journal that I started writing exactly two years ago. To the day! The date of our move this year is exactly two years after we last moved into Summertown. And into the same building. Pretty weird.

So, my first entry begins:

Jan 14 2006

An interesting date to start a journal?

Refreshingly the journal seems to be an actual record of stuff I did instead of me just trying to be funny with nonsense (see the entirety of this blog for examples of the latter). It's also a bit more boring and personal so I won't reproduce all of it here.

Of course, as with all my attempts to do a journal, it only lasted three entries. In the second, I write:

Went to Thai restaurant with Nads in the evening. I only had veg, as I'm on a vegetarian kick at the moment. I wonder how long that will last?

It actually lasted about fifteen months, which I'm sure I wouldn't have guessed.

In the third entry I write about watching 'The Root of All Evil?' which was the Richard Dawkins show that influenced the book I've just been reading.

Coincidences, all. I hope this year isn't just a re-run of 2006. Not that it was a bad year, but I hope I've moved on a little bit. Unless all the sports results are the same too, in which case I can make millions gambling like Biff Tannen. Then I can build a museum to myself in Sidmouth (full of bikers) and have gaudy furnishings, a jacuzzi and a time travelling son.

In fact I probably have done that before, but that meddling kid and the wild-eyed old man who claims to be scientist went and put the timeline right, so none of us noticed.

Hey, I also referenced Back to the Future II (or just '2' in the parlance of our times) in my old journal. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

No comments:

Post a Comment