Tuesday 23 August 2011

The Elephant in the Room


As I see it, the problem with [BLANK] isn't one of economics or gender, but of closed-mindedness.

I'm not wholly critical of [BLANK]. I like to think that it has its place in society. In fact, knee-jerk outrage whenever [BLANK] is even mentioned is as annoying as [BLANK] itself. So I hope this doesn't come across as stereotypical, blind anti-[BLANK] vitriol, full of references to Disraeli or fox hunting or what-have-you.

I'm trying to be diplomatic. It's just that I can't understand why anyone could be in favour or unfettered, undiluted [BLANK]. Even on their own terms [BLANK]-supporters must realise that their belief system is ultimately self-defeating.

It's not even a political argument. It's a factual one. [BLANK] has had a serious and negative impact on this country. The legacy of [BLANK]-related actions can be seen in all over the world, and it's not a pretty sight. The statistics bear this out.

It's not surprising at all. I remember when I was at school, there wasn't even any mention of [BLANK].

It wasn't until 1998 that I even considered [BLANK] to be an issue. I thought it was harmless; part of the scenery; nothing more than a catchy T-shirt slogan.

But after the so-called 'Summer of [BLANK]', my eyes were suddenly opened. Coincidentally, it was around this time that my house had our first proper internet connection. So, whilst my school friends were (at best) uninterested, I was able to find fledgling online communities dedicated to the discussion of [BLANK]. My knowledge on the subject increased exponentially.

Of course, as with anything else, the message boards and websites had their fair share of idiots. There was a lot of misinformation flying around. But on the whole, the motives of the people involved seemed pure. They - we - were fundamentally interested in challenging the status quo.

The Anti-[BLANK] Alliance was formed. (I now find the negative language of the group's name a bit unpleasant, but at the time such aggression was galvanising)

Our mission statement was simple:

1) To introduce discussion of [BLANK] into popular discourse
2) To expose the evils and hypocrisy of [BLANK] to as wide an audience as possible
3) To convince governments that [BLANK] requires greater regulation
4) A total end to "the culture of [BLANK]"

At sixth-form I started an Anti-[BLANK] society, but membership numbers were low, possibly as a result of pressure from the disapproving faculty.

But by the time I went to University, [BLANK] was everywhere. There were articles in broadsheet newspapers, documentaries on Channel 4. The Aug 2011 issue of NME was the 'all-[BLANK]' issue.

Student activism had taken the ball and was running with it. Even my apolitical friends were wearing 'DOWN WITH [BLANK]' badges. It seemed like the tide was turning; like something momentous was about to happen.

Even the events and aftermath of September 11 didn't derail the [BLANK] debate. In fact, [BLANK]-related causes of the atrocity were postulated by some of the more radical commentators.

We thought the world was changing.

But...

here we are.

Ten years later, and [BLANK] is as prominent as it ever was. The documentaries and articles are sparse. The student interest in the topic has seemingly been replaced with anger over other government policies. Those 'DOWN WITH [BLANK]' badges are lying, rusting, in the bottom a washing machine somewhere.

The online community is still there, and occasionally a token representative will be given a column on the Guardian website. But the anti-[BLANK] movement has been relegated to the fringes - occupying the same space as conspiracy theorists and amateur anarchists.

But the prevailing attitude, even amongst my friends, is that [BLANK] is inevitable. So why fight it? It doesn't matter. It's just the way things are.

And yet economies are failing, wars are being fought, and people are dying. I don't know how people can look at what's happening in the world and say that [BLANK] doesn't matter.

I'm sure you've heard the arguments, and there are better qualified, more eloquent people who have written on the subject.

I just wanted to write this to say that [BLANK] is still out there. It's still hurting people. And we should never forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment