Thursday 23 December 2010

Pre-Easter Blues

I've always considered myself to be an observant person. I see things other people miss. I have a tremendous eye for subtlety and nuance. I can read between the lines.

In another world, I could be a Poirot-style detective; solving mysteries with nothing but intuition and finely-tuned perception.

I've used these skills to work out a couple of interesting facts in which you might be interested. I haven't seen any of these online, so I don't think anyone else has figured them out. But you, loyal reader, have the inside track. Use these tidbits to impress your colleagues, astound your family or bamboozle a maniac long enough to wrest the axe from his gnarled fingers.

So, here they are. Two fascinating, groundbreaking observations:

1) It's Christmas

2) It has been snowing


There. Use those weapons as you see fit.

I'm in Devon at the moment. We drove down on Tuesday (well, we didn't drive down - we're too important/incompetent).

It was rather beautiful: white ground, white sky, white mist, and the sun trying to cut through it all like a laser beam.

We drove through picture postcard villages that made Christmas card images seem accurate for once.

But with all the family and the nice food and the relaxing by the fire, there hasn't been much time to write sarcastic paragraphs on Strictly Come Dancing or post pictures of my beautiful withered face.

I can't avoid it totally, though. I don't want this to be the Month of Fewest Posts (which is currently September 2007 with 5).

So let's plough on, like a plough through some non-specific frozen water.

What to write about? Well luckily I done read some books.

***

An Idiot Flaps Odyssey - Part 10
Intro
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9


***

John Stuart Mill - On Politics and Society



A bit of light political theory to start with. I like John Stuart Mill. He was in favour of giving women the vote long before they got it, and generally seemed quite open-minded and liberal.
I also read in the Raymond Williams book from a while ago that he was in favour of the right to assemble. He was one of those old school liberals that tried to do what's right in a fusty old fashioned world. And he was probably quite fusty and old fashioned too. But was one of the good ones.

Mill is associated with utilitarianism (popularised by his father James and Jeremy Bentham), which says that we should aim for the greatest good for the greatest number of people. Which means it should be legal to butcher Richard Littlejohn, I suppose. But Mill was open to new ideas, which is an excellent quality in a philosopher. Most don't manage it. I suppose if you fill your brain with too much stuff, it's difficult to open it again.


***

Roald Dahl - Fantastic Mr Fox



This came free with a box of cereal. That's the source of most of my literature. I've spent many an autumn evening deciphering bran-flake Braille. That explains why the cover is an image from the Wes Anderson film (which I haven't seen).

Dahl was my favourite writer as a child. When I was a child, I mean. When he was a child, I found his work quite simplistic (also, I wasn't born).

Of course, we all remember my review of JATGP. Well, FMF is pretty good too. It's quite fun and positive, though possibly sends a slightly anti-feminist message. Mr Fox is the clever one, and does all the adventuring, whilst Mrs Fox stays at home to prepare a feast (even when she's starving to death).

Reading this made me hungry.

For foxburgers.

***

JD Salinger - Various

I didn't re-read these four books. I read them all too recently, and have written about Salinger too much before. (Eg here and here)

Needless to say, they're all good and great and favourites.

***

There it is. I'll need to post a few more times this month to avoid the ignominy of a sub-5 post count.

I hope wherever you are, you're warm and safe and naked.

No comments:

Post a Comment