Friday 2 July 2010

Three Years of This

Three years ago today, I had a dream.

Probably. I dream most nights. Chances are, I had a dream.

Also, I started this blog.

A lot has happened since there. Obama's inauguration, Princess Diana has remained dead; eggs are still consumed by the box; people have been born; people have died; people have died, then been reborn as an antelope; the whole Madchester thing happened; I grew a beard; I grew older, then younger, then older again.

I'm sitting here, looking smug at this achievement. Three years. I'm like the cat who got the cream arrested for impersonating yoghurt.

I'm surprised that I've managed to keep it up for so long. But also pleased. But also hungry.

I wonder how many brilliant ideas I've come up with in that time. Probably five or six (ie. LOADS). I wonder how many times I've repeated myself. I wonder how many times I've complained about being tired. I wonder how many times I've written a comedy dialogue that didn't really go anywhere. (Probably five or six)

I'm thinking of putting together a moving video montage of my best bits. But of course, it's mostly just text. There was the odd bit of musical, photographic or artistic genius.

Remember this?


Or this?

Listen!

Or this?


Yes, this is the equivalent of one of those TV clip shows, where the characters reminisce about previous episodes. For them, it's just a way of generating content without doing any work. But for me, it's a noble retrospective enterprise.

Hey, remember when I wrote this?

I should probably change things up a bit, but it's difficult to see the keyboard with all this excrement over my eyes.

We've all grown together.

To mark this special occasion, I'm going to come up with something truly original. Not a surreal concept, not a silly drawing but something truly innovative.

***

____________
I I
I I


8

***

There.

THERE.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment