Monday 19 April 2010

Rivers, Death, um... something about Monty Python

I've been feeling a bit listless over the past week.

So here are a dozen lists:

***

Ahaha.

No. Actually, I won't do that. The 'humourous list' genre of blog post is well past its sell-by-date, use-by-date, best-before date, and best-use-before-by-sell-date-by-date.

I think I need a holiday. Or magic powers.

***

Here is an insight into my thought process on following that up.

The secrets of my brain - Behind The Magician's Deceptive Curtain-Box. These are my thoughts [analysis of my thoughts in italics].

Magic powers. How would I get them? I know, by drinking from the river Tiber.

[Why did I think that? I don't know. It popped into my head for some reason. I've never been there. I wasn't reading anything related to it. It has no connection to magic that I'm aware of. But there it was. The Tiber.]

It would be like drinking from the river Lethe - the river from Greek mythology, that causes amnesia in anyone who drinks from it.

[This makes more sense. A direct correlation between two rivers. And this one is sort-of magical.]

Hmm. Lethe. I wonder if that's the root of the word 'lethargy'. I shall Google it. Lethargy Etymology.

lethargy
late 14c., from L.L. lethargia, from Gk. lethargia "forgetfulness," from lethargos "forgetful," originally "inactive through forgetfulness," from lethe "forgetfulness" (see latent) + argos "idle."lethargic
late 14c., litargik, from L. lethargicus, from Gk. lethargikos, from lethargos (see lethargy). Related: Lethargically.

Perhaps I can weave it into my blog post, as though I already knew that was the case. People would think I was clever.

I could claim to have got my magical powers from drinking from the Lethe. It would explain my general sense of fatigue.

[People don't care.]

Let's look up Lethe on Wikipedia. It can bolster my superficial knowledge.

Interesting. Lethe is opposed to aletheia - truth. Let's chase that around..

[It's better to know little about lots than a lot about a little, APPARENTLY.]

Aletheia (or Alethea) seems to be a female name. I like it.

Alethea Fung.

Pfft. Nothing sounds good with my surname. Though I could constantly quip about 'taking Alethe' out of my own book'.

[That doesn't work. I should probably have thought about it more carefully.]

Hey, it looks like Heidegger used the concept of Aletheia in his philosophy. Though I studied philosophy at University, I never did any Heidegger. I only really know him from that Monty Python song.

[Could have clumsily imparted some philosophy knowledge to make myself sound clever. A missed opportunity.]

There are other Ancient Greek rivers. Styx of course, but also Acheron, the river of sorrow; Kokytos, the river of wailing; Phlegethon, the river of fire; and Jonathon, the river of Computers-for-Schools Vouchers.

One of those is made up.

[Alright! That was pretty good. Hi-five! - Hmm. Hi-fiving myself is just clapping. People think I'm applauding them.]

So.

From the inexplicable occurrence of 'Tiber' in my brain, I find myself searching for mythological rivers.

That has been my day.

This one's my favourite so far: The Vaitaraṇî river.

"... [which] as mentioned in the Garuda Purana and various other Hindu religious texts, lies between the earth and the infernal world, the realm of Yama, Hindu god of death, or the Yamaloka and is believed to purify ones sins."

Same old crazy death river.

"...while the righteous see it filled with nectar like water, the sinful see it filled with blood."

Cool. But there's one thing they haven't considered.

What about a dead vampire? Though sinful, the blood would be seen as a real treat. They should have taken that into account.

[Look, we're going to have to stop there.

This entry is running out of steam. I've just come back from lunch, and so have lost momentum. Furthermore, the whole premise of this entry is confusing. These are my "thoughts", right? So is that a normal blog entry? What about the italic comments? What role do they play?

Let's just cut our losses, be thankful for gaining a small amount of metaphysical river knowledge, and get on with our day.

But first, think of a good pun for the title.]

No comments:

Post a Comment