Friday 5 March 2010

The End

"You've got six months to live," said the doctor.

The twins were nonplussed. "Each?" they asked.

"No. For the two of you."

Jim shared an anxious look with Tim.

"Now," said the doctor, standing up. "You just need to decide: do you want it in two three-month chunks, or on alternate days?"

***

I finished reading Cormac 'the Nitwit' McCarthy's novel The Road yesterday. A father and son wander through a bleak post-apocalyptic landscape, struggling to survive.

It wasn't the most cheerful of books. There were few quips. There wasn't a bumbling police chief character. There were no bawdy misunderstandings or farcical set-pieces.

But it was very gripping. It was like a spin-off of Threads, which is no bad thing. I suppose it should make me appreciate the luxury and comfort of my own life, but I still felt that my walk to work this morning was comparable.

I know there's a film version with him off of Lord of the Rings. I haven't seen it, but might if there's a sub-plot involving some elves.

To be honest, I think I'd struggle in a post-apocalyptic wilderness. That's the only reason I'm opposed to nuclear weapons and climate change: I don't want to have to live in the woods.

It would be all damp and wormy. There wouldn't be any garlic ciabatta. I'd have no batteries for my Game Boy.

And that's before we get into the whole nuclear winter thing. That would be annoying.

I don't get cold easily, but there's no point in risking it.

I'm glad our world is still intact. I don't think that's the message the book is trying to send. It's probably supposed to spur us to some kind of action. But the only action I'm taking is an exaggerated, Beano-esque *WHEW!*.

***

It seems like that's all the content I have for now. I'll return when something interesting happens.

Hey, I just saw a pen!

No comments:

Post a Comment