Tuesday 2 October 2007

Fixing a hole where the rain gets in

A whole week without posting? This hole must be plugged. I don't know if that makes any sense, but it seems right to me.

I have been distracted by various things; primarily our trip to London to see my sister's gig in Camden. I estimate that a good 50% of my readership (hi Dave!) were there, so I won't go into too much detail. Needless to say, I was very drunk and really enjoyed the gig. I don't know if the latter was contingent on the former, but I don't think so.

It was also a kind of scouting trip for a possible move to the big city. I have mixed feelings about London. Actually, they're not that mixed: I don't like it. I feel like I can't get a sense of the place, because I go everywhere by tube, and can't get my head around the geography. I think it's also because whenever I'm there, it's just for a short time, so I always feel rushed and pressured.

Having said that, I'd still like to move there. If I had a home base and more time, I'm sure I'd get to like it. Also, if I live in London for a while, I'll feel I can legitimately complain about it afterwards.

Don't know if I'd ever get used to the whole pollution-black-snot thing. Maybe I could wear some kind of nose protection, like cotton wool balls or an asbestos moustache.

***

I've been wasting time at work, expanding the scope of my internet perusal (but not THAT far; you know what I'm talking about). I haven't got anything too interesting to say, so here's a few people that do:

Stephen Fry's blog is well worth a visit if you've got lots of time on your hands (his entries are very long [that's almost a double entendre; maybe a triple]). He talks about fame here in a typically interesting fashion. He has also introduced me to the practice of putting links everywhere in my blog. I can't decide if this is useful or annoying.

Armando Iannucci is writing a regular column at the Observer site, and is consistently amusing (although sometimes a little to wry for my tastes). Which reminds me: everyone buy the criminally underrated The Armando Iannucci Shows on DVD. It's damn good.

I've also been digging Richard Dawkins' new crusade, which seems admirably ridiculous and ridiculously admirable, or something like that. Not sure about his 'A' T-shirt though. Atheist or not, wearing that surely signifies: Loser with a capital L.

And finally, this is why I don't wear a belly-button ring. Although my pierced cock is now making me nervous.

***

That should do it for now.

Consider the hole plugged.

(By the way, never use that last line as part of a rape case defense. Juries can be a bit sensitive.)

No comments:

Post a Comment