Thursday 4 October 2007

What a 'Black Stereotype Woman From Tom And Jerry' operation this is!

If I was Mickey Mouse, I'd be pissed off that my name was used so derogatorily. Mickey Mouse operation. Mickey Mouse company.

If I was going to have a cartoon character running my organisation, Mickey Mouse would be pretty much at the top of my list.

It is an outrage that one of the more responsible members of the cartoon community is tarnished by this cruel and innaccurate expression.

What about Goofy? He'd be rubbish. "This is a real Goofy operation." Better.

Of course Goofy already has negative connotations. But even so, there are so many better options.

Daffy Duck would be a good alternative. He'd just flip out and spit everywhere if he was in a high-powered business meeting.

Elmer Fudd would be incompetent. I can't see him handling complex budget issues.

Even Bugs Bunny is a bit too erratic.

I'd pick Mickey over any of them. I think the prejudice either comes from the fact that he is friendly and selfless (the kiss of death for any corporate hotshot) and has an annoying high voice. People with high voices are much less credible. Who would you rather have negotiating world peace: Morgan Freeman or Joe Pasquale? Exactly.

The only thing I want to see Joe Pasquale negotiate is which of his bollocks I cut of first.

So, anyway, a Mickey Mouse operation isn't such a bad thing. He may be the best option we have. The only competent alternative is Tweety Pie, and he's such an annoying yellow cunt that it would probably bring down capitalism.

***

BBC4 has a good Tuesday night comedy line-up, if you're interested. The Flight of the Conchords is kind of like a Kiwi Mighty Boosh, and is very appealing. Interesting Bill Bailey-ish song parodies with buckets of charm.

After that, Charlie Brooker's Screen Wipe contains buckets of bile, and is usually informative and interesting, as well as funny. His head is a bit big for his body though, which is quite disconcerting. But as a fellow GallonHead I understand the this curse.

At the weekend, I might do a TV comedy round up, because Thursday will also bring The Peter Serafinowicz Show (and a new Jennifer Saunders thing that I probably won't watch) and Friday has a new series called Comedy Showcase, which is a weekly... showcase. Of comedy. This week's offering features Martin Freeman aka "Tim" aka the main character of little-loved ITV sitcom Hardware.

Oh, come on! It was pretty good! That had Peter Serafinowicz in it too! It was called Hardware! It was based around a hardware shop! Hardware! Hardware. Fuck it.

It might be on Youtube, but I'm too lazy to search for it. That or I don't want my memories tainted by the truth.

***

I should get back to work now. This may be a waste of my employer's time, but at least typing makes me look like I'm working.

I can't wait until the end of the day so I can turn my brain off and commute home, staring and blank, sealed in the bus like a vegetable in a bag. Freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment