Saturday 14 July 2007

He Who Must Be Named (by every blogger)

We went to see the new Harry Potter film on Thursday. It was pretty good, although it seems like the last few have all been about the same. They all use excellent casting, pretty decent special effects and have pretty good performances.

The trouble is, they all feel the need to shoe-horn in the whole plot, so that the film seems like its jumping from set-piece to set-piece at breakneck speed. I've come to the conclusion that the filmmakers must be, rather than putting together a proper film, just be content with visually presenting all the cool bits in the book, and not bothering with proper exposition or building tension. Which is a fair enough way to do things, I suppose, as the book does all that work for them.

The only problem is how the films are received by people who haven't read the books, which I can only assume is with confusion and annoyance. But who cares about them anyway?

***

For my course, it was suggested that I keep a notebook for my "creative" ideas. The idea was to hand this in at the end, and give my teachers an insight into my creative process. The trouble was, the book ended up being filled with rubbish, sprawling (and often psychologically revealing) doodles. The only ideas were non-sensical sentences that mean nothing to anyone but me.

So, I didn't hand it in. But I will share with you some of them. I think you'll agree they are either the work of an undoubted genius, or they're... not.

"Lazy Native American Indian - Sitting Room"

"The Penguin and Mary Poppins in an umbrella repair shop"

"Death desirable during sex/laughter - a consolation. Even on the M4?"

"Asking shrewd questions.
Asking shrews questions.
(What is your habitat?)"

"Esher Circle Stadium Salute"

Profound stuff. If I find any more, I'll dish out a few more morsels.

You love it, you slags!

***

I try, every couple of posts, to provide you with some reward for wading through this inane bullshit. So, here's another video, starring Peter Serafinowicz (of Darth Maul, Look Around You and "I'm not a monster, Tim" fame). It's quite funny, and features a dead-on John Lennon impression:




***

I'm working up to a discussion of The Simpsons movie and it's potential quality, which would inevitably lead to a "Family Guy isn't very good" rant. But something of that magnitude will need careful consideration, lest the resultant controversy tear the whole internet in twain. So I'll stick to safer, more politically-correct topics.
Tune in next time for "The Jews: Global Plague"!

No comments:

Post a Comment