Thursday 3 February 2011

Libraries and Damien Duff

Lucy and I went to a public meeting to discuss the future of Summertown Library yesterday.

Like many libraries across the country, our one is threatened with closure as part of cost-cutting measures that involve selling off the forests, halving puppies and asking Michael Gove to sell off one of his fifteen golden microwaves.

The meeting took place at St Edwards School, and it was slightly strange to be taking part in a community event in what is essentially an elitist educational establishment; the quad paved with porters and foie gras. But it was very nice of them to let us in.

I think the meeting was organised by a group called the Friends of Summertown Library - you can find out more here - who seem very committed and able. I like the notion of being a 'friend' of Summertown library.

It makes me think of them putting their arm around the whole building, which is sobbing after a bitter rejection from its government lover. "Come on, mate. We're here for you." A bit like one of those lager adverts that promote the idea of loyalty to your misogynist, alcoholic friends.

The true meaning of friendship is helping your buddies bury the body of a dead prostitute. Whilst drinking Carling.

So the library thing isn't like that. Forget I said it.

It was standing room only at the meeting, which suited me fine. I like to lurk at the back, so I can hide from people and generally avoid eye contact with anyone that has eyes. I like to be part of the community, but only in so far as my body heat marginally raises the ambient temperature. I care about local issues, but am slightly terrified of making a scene.

I should say that we didn't stay until the end of the meeting. So something spectacular might have happened that we don't know about. For all I know, the meeting ended with a surprise appearance from Jermaine Jackson or an outbreak of cholera. But it didn't make the Guardian website if it did.

Colin 'Inspector Morse' Dexter was there! He's not Inspector Morse, of course. Morse is a fictional character. But Dexter did create him. Sadly no appearance from the ghost of John Thaw.

The discussion was very interesting, and lots of people had good points to make. There seems to be serious doubt over what decisions have already been made, and exactly the best way to fight the proposed closure.

The trouble with meetings like this is that most ordinary people (rightly) judge the issues on ideological grounds, but there are also complicated legal and financial elements to consider. The main speakers actually did a good job of explaining things, but there was still a sense that the council representative was deflecting political concerns technical ones.

At one stage, the moderator pointed out our local MP Nicola Blackwood in the audience. People seemed to be surprised at her presence, and there was an almost audible gasp when she was announced. Blackwood (who apparently opposes the closing of the library) is an impressive figure. She's a young Conservative woman, which immediately raises suspicion of immorality or witchcraft. I can't help but feel she radiates evil - like the White Witch of Narnia.

If (as I have put forward before) all Conservatives lie somewhere on the spectrum between pure evil at one end and pure stupidity at the other, she scares me. She doesn't seem stupid at all.

(I should say that I have friends that are Conservative, and neither evil nor stupid, but I don't want facts to get in the way of a good polemic)

I worry that my views on Blackwood suggest I'm being sexist. I assure you, my disdain for her is not based on gender, only politics (and sweeping assumptions I've made, despite never having met her or listened to what she has to say).

It's interesting that the library closures have had such a strong response. Apparently there have been well-attended meetings all over the place.

I think the ill-feeling is similar to the anger over tuition fees. It's motivated by a general sense that the government has its priorities wrong. People get angry over qualities they see as desirable being threatened.

The government tries to present these cuts as necessities, and of course some cuts are, but I also think there's a cynical attempt to divorce practicality from ideology. These are all presented as inevitable sacrifices that the coalition would love to stop, but can't - for our sake.

But all questions of politics are a combination of ideology and practicality. You can't separate them. There is a finite amount of money to be spent, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't express there dissatisfaction at seeing important institutions eroded.

Libraries in particular are essentially the very epitome of the good human organisation.

They promote learning and the acquisition of knowledge; they stimulate the imagination; they're free to use so can cater to all class groups; they form hubs of the community, bringing people together; they're used by all age groups - so important to children, adults and the elderly; they keep people in touch with new developments in technology; they are centres for the distribution of ideas.
Which makes libraries the opposite of corporate consumerist capitalism.

I'm not totally anti-capitalist (it inevitably leads to evils, but I think most political systems lead to evils of one sort or another), but the worst aspects of it are on display here.

In a capitalist system, knowledge and imagination are of no objective value other than in providing better ways to make money.

Free services are a waste of time, and are seen as inefficient.

Social groups are preferred to be separate, so it's easier to sell them products.

And who cares about poor children? Or old people? These chancers are mooching around getting cheap entertainment! Discovering about history and other cultures and learning how to empathise. Disgusting.

They should get on their bikes (or tricycles, or mobility scooters) and look for work like generations of our brave, rich ancestors have (claimed they've done) throughout history. It's a meritocracy, after all. Climb the ladder of success, with a helpful push from Adam Smith's invisible hand (which might have a cheeky grope while it's down there).

I'm not suggesting that the government are rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of library closures. But libraries certainly don't fit their criteria of essential organisations. The Big Society isn't served by the libraries. Because the Big Society isn't society at all - it's the Big Market.

The library is the epitome of social goodness. What a nice, worthwhile thing to exist! How grateful we should be! That's why people are protesting. Like the tuition fee rise, it's less about the technical results of the decision and more to do with the statement we're making about what kind of country we want to be.

***

Hmm. I went off on a serious tangent again. Luckily, I have just the antidote. After returning from the meeting, I caught the second half of the Fulham-Newcastle game. I was playing my guitar whilst watching, and after seeing a shocking miss from Damien Duff, started playing him a song.

It morphed into a pseudo-Morrissey tune, albeit one sung very badly. My only defense is this was mainly improvised, and that I'm generally very good at singing. It's just that this has never been captured on a recording or heard by a human ear.

But in the middle of this song, which was criticising Duff, he scored a goal. I think I probably helped him. He should get me to come to all his games, playing damning ditties, so that he can feel riled enough to put the ball in the net.

So here's my modified Damien Duff song. I realise that I've included photos of him playing for Newcastle when he should be in a Fulham shirt. I hope you'll forgive this oversight. And this indulgence.


No comments:

Post a Comment