Wednesday 28 February 2018

Vab

Vab is probably a word now, isn't it?

People probably use the word 'vab'. I don't know if they do, but they probably do.

I haven't seen it anyway, but it's the kind of thing that happens these days. People saying 'vab'.

I don't know what it might mean. I could check Urban Dictionary, but I'm not going to. It doesn't matter. All that matters is that we're living at a time when people are saying 'vab'.

It's pretty widespread now (I imagine), so soon it will penetrate mainstream culture. It will appear in the titles of Guardian thinkpieces and there will be a thing on the BBC News website - in the top ten most read stories - about 'vab' and how it's taking off. Then it will die out.

It's like 'on fleek'. Remember that? It lasted about three weeks from conception until it was put out of its misery by your aunt saying it in Whittard's.

The same thing will happen with 'vab' - a thing young people are currently saying.

I'm not judging it. I'm not saying people are wrong to say 'vab'. I'm just saying that they're saying it.

If you analyse trends, or even just pay some attention to the world around you, you can predict what's going to happen to a high degree of accuracy. You can say X is going to fall out of favour, Y is going to reach critical mass, Z is going to say 'vab'.

In this case, I'm not predicting the future - I'm just aware of how the present is going. I followed the thread. I used to know what people are saying, so now, even though I don't listen to anyone, I can be reasonably sure that people are saying 'vab', even though I've never heard it or even thought about it before about ten minutes ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment