Friday 23 May 2008

Calligraphy

(The first portion of this was written this morning)

And after, two hours and seven minutes of Friday morning…

I'm done.

My brain has officially given up.

It did well, though. I'm not knocking the brain. It felt like Friday on Wednesday, so today is the equivalent of Sunday. Tomorrow is Monday, but as there's no work, all bets are off. Everything probably resets at the weekend, and Monday is Monday again, until its day status alters based on circumstances. Are you following this?

Five days is too long for a working week. I wonder what would happen if we had a four day week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday would be best)… I'll tell you what would happen:

Binge Drinking = down
Violence = down
Work Satisfaction = up
Courtesy = up
Abortions = unchanged
Haircuts = more avant-garde
Chickens = fluffier
Ricicles = more prevalent

In short:

Four day week = ideal society. Maybe I should send this to old Tony Blairs and see if he takes any notice.

And as for a THREE day week…

forgetaboutit.


***


I think I'd like to try my hand at calligraphy.

I've got rubbish handwriting, but I'd probably be better if I studied it as an art.

Calligraphy is a bit like quantum physics: it focusses on the small constituent parts of the things we take for granted every day. It's the art of the building blocks. It must be fun to look at things at that level. You can examine physical attributes of an object, by reducing your study to the attributes of those tiny bits that make up an object.

I'm sure there's some kind of meditative function to caligraphy, as it detaches you from your ideas of the world, and makes you look at things in a different way. Like Buddhism. And magic mushrooms.

I like thinking of letters as individual works of art, where each line and curve is part of some grand inky narrative. Each story is composed of millions of words; each word has a complicated and beautiful evolutionary history. And each word is made up of constituent letters; each one having gone through a similar process.

Of course, each letter is made up of millions of tiny particles that are themselves mindblowingly interesting. Physics is at the root of everything I suppose, even calligraphy.

Our letters aren't as pretty as Chinese characters, I suppose. Maybe I'd need to learn Chinese. Or maybe the simplicity of our alphabet is a sign of true advancement.

I can never work out if evolution is a process of simplification or complexification (yes, that is a word; a word whose definition is its own creation). I suppose evolution does both. It's a crazy multi-layered, multi-directional process of simplicity and intricacy and beauty and functionality.

Imagine how good this all would have been if it had been written on parchment with fancy ink and a fine brush. I could perform flourishes and take an age to finish each sentence, and complain about the pace of the modern world whilst drinking bitter green tea.

I'd be a good calligapher (or is it calligraphist?)

A FUCKING good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment