Sunday 17 February 2008

Blog Entry #79

Another couple of film reviews!

Strangers on a Train

I'm a big Hitchcock fan. You can always rely on him for pure, unpretentious quality in every frame. Having said that, this film wasn't quite up to par with his best. Some real suspense (of course), and the actor playing the psycho guy was cool, but it felt a bit light. The concept is great, but there didn't seem to be enough to make it a full Hitch experience.

La Dolce Vita

If I'm to consider myself a film-buff (and I shouldn't; I only go to the cinema a few times a year), I feel I need to know more about the European masters. I always hear people talking about Godard and Herzog and whoever, and thought I'd start with a bit of Fellini.

I suppose it's to be expected, but I thought this art-film was too much art, not enough film. It was enjoyable enough, tremendous performances, beautifully shot, and often very funny. But it was very, very long, and felt like it could do with some editing (sacriledge, I know). I'm sure everything was there for a reason, and added to the power of the piece, but I have to say I got bored.

I will say that I thought the sound was one of the most impressive things about it. The music and effects were really intense, and created a lot of atmosphere.

Interesting fact probably known to everyone but me: there's a photographer in the film called Paparazzo, and it is from him we derive the term 'paparazzi'.

***

After a verbal slip by my mum, I've come up with some interesting characters called Bamboons. They're a bit like wicker monkeys, and their natural predator is the Panda (which is lucky, as Pandas are slow).

Perhaps they can have something to do with Bill A Bockingbird. He could take up their case in court, defending them against the charge of being too lacking in nutrients.

No comments:

Post a Comment